Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What Do You Think Of Mike Rowe ?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Why Did He Make MikeRowesoft.com
(No ending time set)
So Microsoft would buy him out for $$$
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Genuinly Wanted That WebSite
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 13

shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:12 pm   Post subject: What Do You Think Of Mike Rowe ?

EDIT : the letters given to him from microsoft are selling for 32,000$ on ebay , there have been 102 bids on it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3382073018&category=2312

A Canadian teenager whose Web site address bothered a certain giant software company will find a new home on the Web, Microsoft Corp. said Friday.

Mike Rowe, a 17-year-old resident of Victoria, British Columbia, has agreed to pick a new name for his Web site, currently called www.mikerowesoft.com, said Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler.

Mike's father, Kim Rowe, confirmed that his son had struck an agreement with Microsoft. Rowe said his son could not be interviewed Friday because he had to study for final exams.

Mike also is working feverishly to put together a new Web site, his father said.

Desler said Microsoft would cover Mike's costs of changing to a new Web site and redirecting traffic from the old site. Microsoft also had agreed to help the teen get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, including an Xbox game console, he said, and has invited Mike to a technology festival in March at the corporation's headquarters in suburban Redmond.

"We wanted to do this in a way that's going to foster his interest in technology," Desler said.

In a posting on his Web site earlier this month, the teen said he received a 25-page letter from Microsoft informing him he was committing copyright infringement, and threatening legal action.

Desler said Friday that Microsoft believes it's important to take steps to prevent widespread infringement of its name. But he conceded Microsoft's original approach was "admittedly maybe impersonal."

He has recently sold the microsoft documents that were fedEXd , to him for 500 $ on ebay ,

He has Over 400 000 hits in under 1 week

Currently there are 1217 people active on his forum

Worldwide He is being labelled as someone who took hi 15 minutes way to far ,

Link TO where his Fraudlunt Actions are being Discussed

http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=22217
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

this is old news, he aggrded to chage the name of the web site to MikeRowFourms.com or somting like that and M$ gave him an xbox and a tone of free stuff. aswell as paying for new domain name.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well Dan if you had of red the post , i posted what hte y gave him , how it had been settled and what had happeneed ( sorry if it sounds harsh , but it shows that you didnt read my post )
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh lol, i missed that one line. sory Embarassed
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry , if you actually read it and missed it then , the blame is on me , sorry bout the flame , Very Happy , by the way if you check out spam and hte member wars , your up next week to fight tony , check it out
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not a good idea, i can rember last time there was a poll like that. since both me and tony have powers over the compsci.ca db we could edit the hell out of the poll.

i bivle it ended last time with files being throw every where and tony hiding under his indutrabale titmatame desk while i as throing things as asok and doging shouts form his "locking gun". ah thous where good times.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds like Fun Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil , you gotta se the pick of you and tony fighting though its funny

Here
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

think it whould be more like two devil guys figting, but it is close Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The one on the right reminds me of AsianSensation, cause of his old avatar, and his reference to yellow.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Where has asian been lately he hasent posted in a couple days Question
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think he should have stuck with the website. But all the stuff he got..... wow! One question, was his website really a website for software, or did he just like the name sounding the same as microsoft.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well the way I figured, many people add "soft" when coming up with a name for some tech related "company". I'm sure I've called something "TonySoft", though probly as a joke Confused I don't really recall doing so, but I assume I might have Laughing

Point is, it's just an accident that his name (cuz he used his real name) ended up sounding similar to M$ with "soft" suffix Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

NO it was like a dummy site , jsut had some forum on it , he has had 18 thousand hits in the past 20 hours and he now has 2143 active members on his forum ,his WIPO book is still for sale apparently its at 31 thousand USD right now , 110 bids , , the little reject did some stupid stuff though , microsoft gave him a free xbox and MSDN subscription right , so what does he do , he goes live on tech tv and announces the first thing he will be doing is puttiing linux on teh xbox , i mean thats uncalled for ,there giving him all this stuff for a domain he paid 10 USD dollars for , , peopel are flaming him all over the world
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well yeah, I dont really know the full story Rolling Eyes

I suppose he is taking this thing a bit too far... I mean sure... with all the publisity he's getting, I would have milked M$ for all it's worth too, but I wouldn't anounce that I'm installing linux on the x-box, lol Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
well the way I figured, many people add "soft" when coming up with a name for some tech related "company".

Well, I have seen a couple of those. My friend made MichaelSoft, and another friend of mine made CircleSoft.

shorthair wrote:
Where has asian been lately he hasent posted in a couple days?

Rest assured, I am still here, but it's just that there were rather alot of projects due (damn you naoki and you physics group, beat my catapult by 1 friggin point, but I had to survive 3 girls as my partner who were probably all PMSing on the day we built that thing, so I think my catapult is rather good)

paulbian wrote:
he one on the right reminds me of AsianSensation, cause of his old avatar, and his reference to yellow.

Ahh, good stuff, here, have some bits, because you enjoy the color yellow, which, maybe I forgot to mention, is indeed the color of my skin (oriental people are refered to as the Yellow People <-- origin of many of my reference to yellow)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 47 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: