Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Talking Thread
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 am   Post subject: Talking Thread

Just a general discussion thread, I guess. I am kind of new to the whole Forum thing. Basically just a hang out. And by the way, if I am not allowed to do this sort of thing, I apologize, I didn't know.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Off Topic is exactly this -- you are in the right place, welcome!
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Forums do seem a bit weird some time. You see some from early internet days, and there was a cult following for them.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Who runs the site? As in, who made it?
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

And also, I tried getting Java for the chat room, but I think that it uses out of date Java and therefore security blocks it. To quote the videos my avatar came from, "3sad5me".
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Tony & Dan run the site here. They also run a blog and the DWITE contest, though it's sadly not running any more.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Stars are strange objects in Turing.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

What is the DWITE contest, by the way?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

http://dwite.org/ is the first google result for "DWITE" -- it's a programming competition that we used to run, as a way to let students practice for better recognized events, such as UWaterloo's CCC.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

Is there a specific reason it was shut down?? Or was it just you and Dan didn't have enough time to administrate it?
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

I think it had something to do with them both getting jobs and starting their careers, iirc
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Talking Thread

Nathan4102 @ 19th January 2015, 6:17 pm wrote:
Is there a specific reason it was shut down?? Or was it just you and Dan didn't have enough time to administrate it?

It was mostly time issues. Running DWITE basically meant I had to take a full day off to prepare for and run each round. This was becoming more and more unworkable for me as I had more course/research work and TAing duties (for example I have to run a course Lab every day of the week this semester that would have conflicted with the times DWITE contests are run). Tony and the other question writers also had to contribute a significant amount of time to run DWITE and had their own conflicts.

There was some talk about getting it started up again under new management but so far there has been little progress.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

That's too bad, it was about the time I started getting into CS contests that DWITE shut down. I'm not experienced enough to lead an iniative to start it back up, but if it does i'd be more than happy to help out with any grunt work.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Talking Thread

This may be considered necroing and really stupid (I have an excuse for the latter. In Science today we worked with Bunsen burners, and we had trouble lighting them, so we may have inhaled a little bit of methane.), but what is iirc?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Talking Thread

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=iirc

Quote:

If I Recall Correctly
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: