Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University Applications
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Chist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:42 pm   Post subject: University Applications

Help! I need to apply to university by 11:59 pm tommorrow. I am interested in applying for either Computer Science or Computer Engineering at Western or Guelph. I am having difficulty in choosing which program to apply for. Could anyone expand on the major differences between the two and the pros and cons of taking each? I enjoy programming and do well in it... whether or not that makes a difference.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:23 pm   Post subject: RE:University Applications

Apply to both.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Chist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:31 pm   Post subject: Re: University Applications

Guelph only sends one offer of admission, depending on the order of preference when you apply.. Sad
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:09 pm   Post subject: RE:University Applications

Then here's some relevant reading material (read both):

http://compsci.ca/blog/6-degrees-of-computer-science/

http://compsci.ca/blog/choosing-between-computer-science-and-computer-engineering/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Chist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:36 am   Post subject: RE:University Applications

Thank you very much!!
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm   Post subject: RE:University Applications

Go to Guelph. I have an older stepbrother there who says he really likes it and has even made a Facebook video for their things they put on beers. Although I have never heard anything about Western, it is probably good too.
MatthewDaigneau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm   Post subject: RE:University Applications

Heads up though, some of the dorms there look like prison. I hear that the guy who designed it was a prison architect.
Night

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:05 am   Post subject: Re: RE:University Applications

MatthewDaigneau @ Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm wrote:
Heads up though, some of the dorms there look like prison.

You fill out a preference form when you apply to residence, and if you don't list any of those residences (the South Residences) in your top four building choices, you're usually fine - if you want a single room then you'd be more likely to get one there, but they exist elsewhere too. Aside from the visual look and the smaller rooms compared to other residences, people generally don't mind living there too much.

On the other hand, a couple of the residences are really nice looking, but harder to get into as they're more popular and have much fewer rooms.
Quote:
I hear that the guy who designed it was a prison architect.

I've never found anything to confirm that. Wikipedia has a dispute on that in the article, but there's no citation for that either (based on dates it's likely correct):
Quote:
The persistent rumour that the residence was designed by the same architect as the Kingston Penitentiary is false. This would be all but impossible, as the historic Canadian prison was constructed over a century before South Residence.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: