Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Game Programming vs. Computer Science
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jdip34

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm   Post subject: Game Programming vs. Computer Science

I was wondering what the value in modern society of a game programming course is. How would a game programming degree compare to a computer science degree in today's job market. Will I be able to get jobs in Computer Science or non video game related programming with a game programming degree?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Game Programming vs. Computer Science

A "game programming" degree is to a computer science degree what a "house building" degree would be to an architecture degree.

The computer science degree is way more valuable (both in terms of appearance on a resume and in terms of how much you will learn), and is way more broadly-applicable. If you have a CS degree, you will be able to pick up the contents of a game programming specialization pretty easily. The reverse is not true.

This isn't to say that a game programming degree (diploma?) is worthless, because it's not. It's just not as good as a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering (etc) degree. The gamedev industry is also pretty competitive, because everyone thinks they want to program games, so you would be competing with software engineers for (relatively speaking) lower-pay, higher-stress jobs.

Edit: I should clarify that the above is the perception you are likely to face from people who have "real" computer science degrees. There is a degree of elitism there, and it's hard for me to be sure how much is justified. If you have a particular program in mind, we may be able to provide more meaningful insight into the value (or lack thereof) of said program.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:24 am   Post subject: RE:Game Programming vs. Computer Science

There are also some schools that offer CS degrees with some specialization in game dev, so that could be a fine option
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Game Programming vs. Computer Science

Off the top of my head, and assuming you're talking about University programs, I believe any Game Programming degree is just a Computer Science degree with a specialization attached to it.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Game Programming vs. Computer Science

Yes, not a game dev degree but a comp sci degree with game dev specialization, which is probably a better option anyways.

As a side note, I have not seen a post from you in years I think Razz
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Game Programming vs. Computer Science

Heh. I've been quite busy the last while. More school, work, and a second part-time job on the side leaves little time for much else Wink
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: