Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Thinking of Computer Science as Second Degree
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
egillen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm   Post subject: Thinking of Computer Science as Second Degree

Hi Everyone! I am a fourth year student taking Criminology as my major. I am looking to switch over to CompSci after graduation in April and would like some input on courses. I am debating between WLU's Computer Science or McMaster's Computer Science As A Second Degree. My other option is to go to college for Computer Engineering Technician or similar. Any thoughts?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Thinking of Computer Science as Second Degree

egillen @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm wrote:
would like some input on courses.

Maybe if you had some specific questions. If you are looking for general information, I'm sure that both Universities have plenty of overview material online.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
kbell109

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Thinking of Computer Science as Second Degree

Hi egillen! I am in a very similar situation and I have been digging for some more information and advice. I graduated with a degree in Biological Science a few years ago and am not at all interested in the jobs that are available to me in this industry. After my second year of university I started wishing I had gone into "something related to computers" and have been wishing the same thing every since. I am kicking myself now for not doing something sooner, but I am finally working on pursuing this interest.

I just discovered Mac's second degree program and I am thinking about applying. Maybe we will be classmates? The courses for this program are outlined here http://academiccalendars.romcmaster.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=7&poid=3965

My other options are one year as a Non-Degree student a UofT in order to take some bridging courses and then entering into a course-based Computer Science Masters the following year. I have also considered applying to Guelph's (the source of my Undergrad) Computer Science program in hopes that I can easily transfer some of my previous credits towards this second degree to shorten it and because they have an intern semester rotation scheduled into the program (similar to Western).

I've spent some time emailing some of the universities so if you have specific questions, I might be able to share some of the information I've acquired.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: