Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows 10 "Beta"
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm   Post subject: Windows 10 "Beta"

So yeah, microsoft jumped 9 (though you could consider 8.1 9 I guess).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

Downloading it for a VM right now.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raknarg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:57 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 10 "Beta"

apparently it's because of compatibility issues with old software:

if (osName.startsWith("windows 9"))

that's used with software that existed for windows 95 I guess.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 10 "Beta"

That's the most ridiculous reason to skip a version of anything that I have ever heard. I mean, there's got to be done workaround.
Zren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 10 "Beta"

I know right? Isn't that what compatibility mode is for? Is definitely a marketing reason.

They're now pushing you to login to a Microsoft email account to make a new user. You can make a local account by "forgetting" your login right now though.

The windows virtual desktops have nothing on Dexpot / Linux.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Windows 10 "Beta"

Zren @ Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 pm wrote:
They're now pushing you to login to a Microsoft email account to make a new user.

That felt weird in a context of desktop-only OSes, but Android and iOS have been doing this for years (gmail and apple accounts).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:28 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 10 "Beta"

True, but I don't think you necessarily had to make an account, at least not for android anyways, iirc
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 10 "Beta"

I think I might skip this one:

Quote:

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility;

use voice input features, such as speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing;

open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance; or

enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto-complete and spell check features.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-privacy-statement
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: