Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Does Anyone kno wany good books or websites?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Kuntzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:53 pm   Post subject: Does Anyone kno wany good books or websites?

Does anyone have any books that will take you from 2D games and physics through to 3d games and physics, that they have ha good experiences with or a good website that, that is a good starting point in searching for them. I have tried amazon and there are so many books, and with the books costing about 60 bucks a piece i want to make sure I get a good one!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Game programming is far from easy. You won't find one book that takes you from basic to master. The first problem is to figure out how to do the game programming. I think there are three real options.
1. Windows GDI
Simplest (but by no means simple). What you are doing is using Windows' Graphical Device Interface to draw simple shapes and bitmaps (like in Turing.) I would Suggest "SAMS Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24hours" for this approach. I also feel this is the best for your first attempt at C++ game design.
2. OpenGL
Widely embraced by many at this site (good for help reasons). OpenGL is excellent for 3D graphics. I would suggest NeHe to get your feet wet (I forget the URL, but look on google, he calls himself Neon Helium or NeHe for short and has like 30 lessons to teach you OpenGL with lots of code.) If using OpenGL, use GLUT it makes life easier.
3. DirectX
You can get ahold of the SDK, it has plenty of examples, but to my understanding DirectX is far more complicated than it has to be.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

McKenzie wrote:
I would suggest NeHe to get your feet wet (I forget the URL...

http://nehe.gamedev.net
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

after that
http://www.gametutorials.com
Kuntzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks alot for the site, it looks like it could be alot of help. Once I get through the C++ for begginers book i have. I will be on my way Very Happy
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/C++/Cpp_Pg1.htm
im pretty sure this site has game tutorials, this is jus the beginners page that i was using when i was learning it.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Catalyst wrote:

where have I read that before...hmmm
Kuntzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What exactly is GLUT, I've read somethings about it it; is it a library?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its a library that simplifies (and cross-platformizes Very Happy ) window creation and input handling
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

McKenzie wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

where have I read that before...hmmm

oops, i wasn't really paying attention, i just wanted to post something, damn. Very Happy Very Happy
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, when you want to know what the pros are talking about visit
http://www.gamasutra.com/
it's got a lot of advanced stuff, but it covers some stuff that you can understand without a degree.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: