Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux-specific overheating
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:56 pm   Post subject: Linux-specific overheating

So, I have this Dell Vostro 3560 laptop, Intel i7 3630 Ivy Bridge CPU x 4 cores, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon **** GPU, 32GB SSD (where Ubuntu is located) and 1TB HDD (where Windows 8 is located).

When I boot into Linux (normal mode, Ubuntu 13.10, Linux 3.12.5, x64, X11 and Wireless enabled), within an hour, I move my hand near the fan, and it burns. When I go on the terminal and type "sensors", numbers ranging from 85 and 100 C (boiling point of water, WTF!) shows up on the screen about core, HDD temperatures, under the conditions of running only 2 terminals and 1 instance of Firefox on YouTube. It has gotten so hot, that it suddenly shuts down without warnings. Disabling both Wireless and X11 still does not solve the problem.

In Windows, if I do the exact same thing for 5+ hours, the temperatures reported by SpeedFan are no more than 80 degrees, and when I touch the fan, it is not very hot at all. Why is that???
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Linux-specific overheating

It's probably related to poor Linux support in some of the hardware. I googled "vostro 3560 linux overheat" and the results seem helpful, especially this one: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1175534
randint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:09 am   Post subject: Re: Linux-specific overheating

I did these things:

1. Used something to lift one side of the laptop, and a fan, the temperature dropped from 100C to 55-60C.
2. I turned off the useless AMD Radeon 7500/7600 GPU (no effects at all) with the external fan on, it dropped to 40C.

So, AMD Radeon GPU is useless, and should be turned off...
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:46 am   Post subject: RE:Linux-specific overheating

It's not the GPU, it's the driver (which yes, is almost certainly garbage, as there aren't any good drivers for the AMD 7xxx or R9-xxx or R7-xxx series cards yet).

It's unfortunate, but a lot of laptops are designed with the assumption that they'll have airflow on the bottom, even though that's obviously not true unless they're on a table rather than a lap.
randint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Linux-specific overheating

OK, I actually only use my laptop on a table, but you still need to lift it up somehow to have air flow at the bottom. Yes, a hard surface is better (I never use my laptop in bed unlike so many people who have told me they do).

I am buying some "chill mat" that is USB 3.0 plugged in, I hope that it gets better. But for now, if turning off a GPU is making things better, so be it.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: