Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 BSOD - Help?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:01 pm   Post subject: BSOD - Help?

I'm trying to fix this old PC, with no luck. It's showing the BSOD, with the error: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and the code is Stop: 0x000000ED (0x823D6C08, 0xC000009C, 0x000000000, 0x000000000).

Any clue how to fix this? Windows starts loading, but then shows this, or loops back to the boot screen. Even if I boot in safe mode, it does the same thing. I've booted using Hiren's MiniXP, and ran chkdsk /f /r, but it didn't change anything. I've also tried disconecting and reconecting the HDD

Any other clue what could be wrong? I'm running out of options, and I don't really want to have to format the drive.

Other info that might matter:

Old crappy PC
Windows XP
Dell

Thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BigBear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:22 pm   Post subject: RE:BSOD - Help?

Boot from a Linux boot disc and save the files you need and install Linux Smile

Or insert the hard drive in another computer save the files and then install Linux Smile
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 am   Post subject: RE:BSOD - Help?

Turns out its toast, I did some diagnostics which showed thousands of corrupt or damaged sectors. I'll just format,thanks!
andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:55 am   Post subject: RE:BSOD - Help?

If there are damaged sectors, you might not want to reformat and rely on that hard drive. It'll probably become corrupt again.
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:59 pm   Post subject: RE:BSOD - Help?

^I second that. If a drive has that many bad sectors, I would be very cautious when using that drive as I would suspect it to crap out again.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: