Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What Comes Next?
Index -> Java
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:37 am   Post subject: What Comes Next?

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/11/16/ruby-the-rival.html?page=1

An interesting read.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's quite a bit of bs there... the reason Java Web Development will still be strong is (from what i've heard) because of vendor independence...

There's more than one vendor (actually a hell-a-lot) developing a Java Servlet or JSP web container for Java..

I heard clients prefer vendor independence over anything... i.e if they think a particular vendor has dropped down in it's performance... they can easily switch.. (since everything is standardized in J2EE)

RoR is run by just one group.. They provide the updates they do everything themselves. Trusting just one firm, is a risk to most clients (apparently). They need to be sure there are competitive options available.

Ruby devs would love to think they are the new "wave"... And They Are! But only to hobbyist.

As for not being able to do Rails in Java: just lookup Trails and Ravenous. (Some folks just don't know what they are talking about)

As for java not being the first class citizen for the desktop: well let's put it this way, a study shows (i read this somewhere in java.net) that WinForms is no longer the leading (as in most-used) GUI Framework... It's Swing! Eitherway... Mustang has a lot of improvement for Swing.. And with the crazy new technologies being developed @ SwingLabs.. Swing is definitely something worth looking into.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I had the same debates with a friend, but about PHP vs. Ruby a while back. He derided Ruby as a toy to no end. I got lots of "no one does real work in Ruby comments."

He's a RoR developer now, and quite happy about it.

I told him I was advocating O'Caml now. He wasn't so quick to write me off the second time.
Ritika0123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:07 am   Post subject: Re: What Comes Next?

hello I want to know best way to learn Java
btiffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:27 am   Post subject: RE:What Comes Next?

Ritika0123;

There are some excellent resources right here on compsci.

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=17280

Look in Java Tutorials.

Cheers
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: