Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Stats for pop programming languages ;D
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:02 am   Post subject: Stats for pop programming languages ;D

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

http://www.php.net/usage.php -- for php ;D

1 Java 23.573% -0.66% A
2 C 18.600% +1.34% A
3 C++ 16.083% +2.90% A
4 Perl 9.599% +1.18% A
5 (Visual) Basic 8.547% +0.29% A
6 PHP 6.311% -1.30% A
7 SQL 3.095% +0.58% A
8 C# 1.799% -0.66% A
9 JavaScript 1.745% -0.68% A
10 Python 1.125% +0.12% A
11 Delphi/Pascal/Kylix 0.804% -0.80% A
12 SAS 0.783% +0.17% A
13 COBOL 0.762% -0.29% A
14 Fortran 0.541% -0.70% B
15 Ada 0.537% -0.16% B
16 Lisp 0.500% -0.26% B
17 Awk 0.456% -0.03% B
18 IDL 0.413% +0.24% B
19 Prolog 0.355% -0.31% B
20 RPG 0.340% -0.45% B
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, turing has 0.02% Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i am shoked that it is even on the list and GO JAVA!!!!!!!!!

java pwns all!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

turing is not on the list, I calculated % myself. They give the formula they used so I just ran it for turing.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

turing will be around the area of pythn i would expect ,there both beginner language , turing jsut isnt wide spread i mean , in teh states what do they teach in there compsci , ????? does anyone here know
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My friend in NY learns java in his beginner compsci class.
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I wonder if american schools have a standard i wsa loking around ,and the begingin languages go from python , pascal - C and VB , its amazing its so diverse
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My father is a programmer, and when I started turing, I told him... and he said "Tur - what"? I'm surprised, since he does this for a living, and he has to keep current...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

paulbian wrote:
My father is a programmer, and when I started turing, I told him... and he said "Tur - what"? I'm surprised, since he does this for a living, and he has to keep current...

I wouldn't consider turing (even the latest version) "current", and I'm not surprised that a professional programmer wouldn't know about it either. Because despite the fact that turing isn't (legally) freeware, it sure ain't professional.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, lol Laughing I'm yet to see a commercial app writen in turing Laughing

though Mazer just has to tell me that somebody paid him a quater for EM to settle that argument Surprised
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there was once a thing called turing pro or somting like that, that they achauly made turing 3.x in. it was rummered to be a verson of turing to make profinale apps in but i dont think it ever got out of holth soft's hq.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow thats toattaly unreal , if it had dll supporst and worked with your hardware , it would make it so much more powerful but what reason does holt soft have to make awsome updates , its not like ther emaking millions , there is no momentum to keep tom wanting to write updates
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
turing will be around the area of pythn i would expect ,there both beginner language

I don't know anything about Turing (I hadn't even heard of the language before coming here), but Python is quite widely used in professional environments. Just as one example, Python is in widespread use at Industrial Lights and Magic. You know, that tiny little thing some guy named George Lucas started. Wink

As for what languages are used as intro teaching languages in the US... Pascal is still there for historical reasons. Heck, when history comes into play you never know what you'll be taught. A prof of mine at Cornell taught Fortran95 as an intro language because he'd worked for IBM 30 years prior banging out Fortran code.

C++ is quite popular as a teaching language because there's a standard for the language. Especially with smaller schools this is an asset, since it means they can switch between standards compliant compilers without worrying about breaking their code.

It's only since the AP (advanced placement) board began using Java that it's caught on in higher education as an intro language. The fact that there's no standard for the language other than what Sun says Java is has scared a lot of instructors. The same concerns have kept VB out of intro classes.

One of the other interesting choices that's been largely abandoned as anintro language was Eiffel. Rochester Institute of Technology used to use it exclusively, and still maintains a mirror for the GNU Eiffel compiler.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: