Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:00 pm   Post subject: University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

So, I use Ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop that, for certain, has Wi-Fi capabilities (I am using a Wi-Fi connection as I write this post). Unfortunately, I had very bad luck with the network eduroam and I am only able to use uw-unsecured when I am on-campus (I was told that I should not use this network under any circumstances).

I followed the instructions http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/cs/wireless.html but the "Connect" button is greyed out at the end. I went to MC 1052, but no one there was able to help me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 am   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

Eduroam uses a GlobalSign certificate that, for some reason, every other operating system seems to download no problem. Are you sure you copied the certificate from https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1217617 properly?
randint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

Oh, I downloaded it properly now, and it is able to connect to eduroam. It is, however, unstable.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:20 am   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

That's just UW's wireless being awful. I think the MC building's walls are specifically designed to make wifi suck, and they're unable to work around it. The wifi is a bit better in the newer buildings, but I'd still bring a network cable if you're going to class anywhere with ethernet drops (basically just MC3 1006 or whatever it is).
randint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

M3 1006, QNC 1502, that is basically it.
randint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

People suggested disabling IPv6, no improvement whatsoever.
randint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am   Post subject: Re: University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

I have acquired more information about this at the Computer Science Club. Someone told me that it is something to do with the Linux kernel people being over-compliant about driver specifications and rendered the driver useless. The only way to work around that is to go find the kernel source code, and look for the driver settings, change it to some acceptable form and re-compile, then install the new kernel on your computer.

Getting the kernel is probably very easy, you can just download it somewhere. But then, knowing where the network settings are is not very easy. You are talking about millions of lines of C code--even if very organized.
Abbiey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:34 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

Had the same problem, however the fix didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 am   Post subject: Re: University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem

Not UW, but I've had much better results connecting to the campus wifi here by using Wicd rather than the default NetworkManager. Unfortunately it is no longer under active development.

I did manage to get NetworkManager to cooperate with the self-signed certificate on our campus by making a change to the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/<ssid> file. I had to change the option system-ca-certs from the default of true to false.

code:
system-ca-certs=false

It's still quite unstable, but at least it connects!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: