Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm   Post subject: Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

So, I have a Dell laptop which runs Ubuntu 13.04, x64 Edition, as well as a Sony E-370 system for Blu-ray and other playback. Is there any suitable way for the laptop to be the source of sound [input] (where I open an *.mp3 file) and the sound is to be projected onto the speakers of the Blu-ray player [output]? (My laptop does not have a very good set of speakers)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

It looks like the only way would be to hook up to the "TV in" port via S/PDIF with either optical (TOSLINK) or coaxial audio cables. You'd need one of those ports on your laptop as well. Alternatively you can pick up a cable like so which will allow you to hook up your laptop's audio out (headphone) jack to the analogue audio in ports on your system.

The only way I can think of to do this wireless would be to buy an Apple TV or similar device, hook it up to the optical port, and use AirPlay via iTunes.
randint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

I am very anti-Microsoft and anti-Apple for that matter...so, I would need to use the headset jack on my laptop and plug the other end into the Blu-ray player, right? Thank you, I will look into it.
randint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

Actually, out of nowhere, I came up with an insane idea...that will, unfortunately, require the existence of a high-definition television...I guess I need one.

Materials needed:

Laptop computer
Blu-ray player
High definition television set
2 HDMI Cables

1. Power on all 3 devices, open an audio or video file on the laptop, and connect the laptop with the television using 1 of the HDMI cables, the video and audio should now be on the TV
2. Connect the television with the Blu-ray player, by way of the second HDMI cable
3. Use audio return to make the sound project to the Blu-ray

Whether or not this will work, I do not know. The fundamental problem is whether or not a TV can have 2 channels simultaneously, which I am doubtful about, even if it is high definition with Internet connection capabilities.
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

From what I read about that system it sounds like it has two modes. It can either play bluray discs (speakers handle sounds, video sent to TV), or it can receive audio from a TV (or other source).

If it worked, you would hook the HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV. You'd hook an optical cable from the TV to the TV in on the HTIAB. You'd then select the TV mode on the HTIAB and it may play the audio.

Your best bet would be the 3.5mm headphone jack to audio RCA cable. Last time I checked some dollar stores even carry them.
andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

I haven't looked up the receiver, but it should have both HDMI inputs as well as an output to the TV. Can you not connect an HDMI from your laptop to the receiver? That should handle audio and the video should go to the TV.
randint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

I mean to say, that I want the video (graphics) to be projected to the TV (sound, too) but also, I want sound on the speakers of the Blu-ray player - and this is the video file on computer thing I was talking about: you open a video file on your computer, you can see the images on the TV screen, and hear the sound coming from the Blu-ray speakers.
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

andrew. @ Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am wrote:
I haven't looked up the receiver, but it should have both HDMI inputs as well as an output to the TV. Can you not connect an HDMI from your laptop to the receiver? That should handle audio and the video should go to the TV.
It's not a receiver, it's a HTIAB. If it were a receiver it'd be dead easy to do.

randint @ Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am wrote:
I mean to say, that I want the video (graphics) to be projected to the TV (sound, too) but also, I want sound on the speakers of the Blu-ray player - and this is the video file on computer thing I was talking about: you open a video file on your computer, you can see the images on the TV screen, and hear the sound coming from the Blu-ray speakers.
You can likely achieve this, just not with a single cable. Hook the laptop up to the TV via HDMI for video, that 3.5mm <--> RCA cable up to the bluray player, then set the bluray player to TV mode.

Remember that the HDMI connection is output on the bluray player and input on the TV. It's not a regular receiver, you cannot output to the bluray player via HDMI.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
randint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 am   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

What about auto return channel?

I meant to say that I intend to use 2 HDMI cables (1 is between TV and laptop, for the video to be sent from the computer to TV, the other is between TV and Blu-ray Player, and use the auto return channel to send audio from TV to Blu-ray - since there are likely going to be 4 HDMI Input ports on an HDTV).
andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:01 am   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

@rdrake: Ahh I see. I knew I was missing something.

@randint: Looking at the specs here, it appears that there is no HDMI input to the Blu-Ray player. So instead, you'll have to connect the audio out on your TV to the Blu-Ray player using either the analog or optical output from your TV (if it has one of those).
randint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

I mean HDMI output with auto return channel because we have:

There is an HDMI output port on this, and an HDMI input port on HDTVs.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System BDV-E370 -> Dell Vostro 3560 BTX Laptop

If the TV supports ARC and you use an HDMI 1.4 cable, it'll probably work. According to the specs the bluray player supports ARC for sure.

Worse case the TV most likely has some sort of optical audio out which will do the same thing, albeit with an extra cable.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: