Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 dismal (new DOS type program for windows)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:43 pm   Post subject: dismal (new DOS type program for windows)

It's currently in a really alpha stage. Basically I dislike how Micro$oft has completely deserted DOS. Linux is amazing, and it's not based on the GUI. The OS is the command prompt!

DOS is really lacking in LOTS of things. So I decided to make my own command prompt for Window$. In the style of DOS, but with lots of added features. As I said, It's currently massive alpha. It's been worked on a grand total of: 45 minutes. But I figured it is semi-decent so far so as to post it on comp-sci. Remember, it's about %2 (out of a possible %100) complete. So don't judge. I can't wait till summer! (then the real development begins Very Happy ! Either that or March break. Laughing ).

Current commands (there's also the command "commands" if you want to view this list withthin the program):
**remember to type these without the quotes Razz :

"cd .." <~ Moves up to parent dir.
"cd <folder name>" <~ Goes to that folder.
"dir" <~ shows current dir's contents.
"time" <~ displays system time.
"ip" <~ Displays your PC's IP.
"./(file name)" <~ remember, the file name and the "./" go together, This command executes the program that you specify. (ie: "./quake3.exe")
"addusr" <~ runs script to add user to the database of current users.
"exit" <~ Obviously, exits the program.

I do not have full path directory changing (ie: "cd C:\WINDOWS"), You could however navigate the the main "C:\" directory and then type "cd WINDOWS\system32\drivers\".

currently sitting as 166 lines of code. If you want to contribute, feel more than welcome too.

BTW: I reconsidered posting the code, PM me for the code, if you're someone I believe won't submit this as your final assignment then I will provide you with a link to it. And please don't give that link away. I would hate it for my teacher to type "put "commands <opens..." " in google and see that someone (that is not me) has posted MY original code all over the internet and I get a lvl 0! That just wouldn't be fair. Shocked

So, yeah.. Now you know... Once the weekend starts (and final exams start), I'll post the code on this thread. (once people can't submit it!)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
icemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

duh post an exe then, why do u think i did that?
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't feel like it!

Hey, Turing 4.0.5 r0x. It's so much more complete.

The example sourcecode in the help files works this time for a change! Twisted Evil

uhh, dude. What are you doing posting at 1 am? Shouldn't you be going to school (today)? Very Happy

There's no way I am. Too much snow! Shocked

sucks, I really wanted to take that math culmunating task to day! Crying or Very sad

I'll just have to wait till tomorrow! Bah! 8)

Have fun presenting your project! Wink
icemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

we are presenting tomorrow so u better come fool Mad Mad
or just send me ur new version of ur client, with the commands, and the feature that sends changed names to the server, no hacking
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

listen spaz, go on MSN right after school. I'll be on.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

scrap this... Too much work. Shocked
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, i was trying to make a dos type thing, and i know less than you... i stopped after writing one variable. ahhhh, it felt so good, i knew i couldn't do it.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

in the first poat , you say Linux isnt based on the GUI , yet whe n( sorry to flame ) gentoo Linux , Redhat Linux and Eds Debian Linux all Have intense gui's ,Eds of which takes up more ram and power than windows , Everyone gets caught up in the GUI , I assume tha your not t ofamilier wit hlinux but if you are , you shouuld knw better than to say that
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i think he meant that the base or whatever of linux, or what it was at first is all command based. Someguy set up slackware on a comp eng computer at my school and it's all command line, and uh... hard to use at first.
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
i think he meant that the base or whatever of linux, or what it was at first is all command based. Someguy set up slackware on a comp eng computer at my school and it's all command line, and uh... hard to use at first.

Yes, Exactly.

You see, Linux is not in the GUI. If you understand what I mean. I mean, you cannot run Windows Console Edition can you?

And the operating systems you stated do have massive GUI in them, but that doesn't mean you cannot run them just as well without all that fancy GUI.

Notice XFree and KDE / GNOME / Enlightenment are not part of the actual operating system? They are created by third party software companies that want to make a GUI for the end user that likes to use one. (sorry to carry out the flame, but I don't like it when people don't think before they speak). Rolling Eyes

Like I don't know what I talk about having used linux since I was 12.

BTW: shorthair, stop trying to flame me for everything I say. That's about the third or fourth time already. Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: On a side note, when you say Linux GUIs take up more RAM than the Windows "Explorer", take into consideration, that while KDE (I say KDE, because you couldn't have possibly been reffereing to GNOME, because I'm sure you know it's famous for being a lot faster than the Window's "Explorer") takes up some extra RAM, Windows makes up for it with all the backround processes it runs while you do other work.

RE-EDIT: Aswell, If you don't like the default graphic enviornments that come with your distribution, just install another one . Slackware comes about 6 preloaded window managers installed with it (including GNOME and the "Cholesterol Free Desktop Environment" (note the name means no bloatage or unwanted features so that it runs faster than the average WM), with a handy feature called "xwmconfig" that really helps the process of changing Window Managers be easier. If not, modify the startup scripts manually. I'm sure you know what PICO and NANO are? if not use the console edition of EMacs to edit these files.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

alright , so you wanna say that its better and faster , also remember that its open source so people can change it to the wway they like , windows is good at what it does no one can deny that , becasue without it around 70% of computer users would have no computer , you have to give it dredit , linux can only do majical things because it is open source , but if you lok at hte original by linus torvalds , they were pretty bad , its taken years upon years for it to become a part of the big game , I didnt flame you on purpose ,your point was unclear and isimply responded with a sensible answer ,if you would like the benchamrks , for gentoo VS win2000 you can see htem , the perforamce from 2000 was better in 4/5 aspects , was just making an educated point ,
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
if you would like the benchamrks , for gentoo VS win2000 you can see htem

I'm not ignorant. I know very well that Windows can do things a lot easier than any Linux distribution to my knowledge. I won't deny that. But look at all the support that it has. Almost all hardware companies for one, create windows specific drivers or wont release information or sourcecode so that open source developers can make their own. Just that discourages gamers and some admins from using linux boxes. I am in NO way bashing windows. I just bash Microsoft for not making it all it could be, and the fact that they exploit this advantage over other operating systems.

I just disliked how you threw your little crap about "I guess you don't know much about Linux" and "everyone gets caught up in the GUI" sh!t at me. Because if YOU did know anything about Linux, you would know it is non Graphic Interface reliant. That was my point. Stop putting words into my mouth.

EDIT:
Quote:
becasue without it around 70% of computer users would have no computer

But let's say, Windows dies all of a sudden. Some freak accident destroys everything Windows related in the world and it dies off right there (work with me here). %70 of the world's computer's would stop working? Literally yes. But wouldn't all of those computers just migrate to Mac, Linux, Unix, Sparc, BSD and all those other alternatives? Just an educated response.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont belive so i belive that people would have no other choice and would have to migrate , but people would be lost , try getting a person who has used windows for say 5 years to run linux , when i first did it , the video drivers didnt work and i had no 3d graphice , my sound card was non compatible and it was hard enough to firuge out what version i was going to use out of the like 50 bersions out there if not more , i dont belive its commercilly ready for home use , IBM has given it good support and it has worked wonders on my pc now that its fully working , i dont hate linux i dont hate windows , i dont see these posts as flaming , this is just a good argument that all , theres no need to bring us into it , we should both keep it based on the argument at hand ,im actually quite interestied in this discussion , its fun to have
Maverick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What OS do u use short?
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have RedHat on one , and Windows Xp on the other , im not into playing with linux much anymore , but i used to love being able , to change everythign about it , it felt like home , windows is just problem free for me right now , and its no hassle ,
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: