Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sound Card Problems (Going insane)
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Lezlan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: Sound Card Problems (Going insane)

I recently reformated my computer only to find that i has lost my Driver CD and have no way of installing my Sound Card. I don't know what type I have or who made it. I have called Support but they are no help. I can't stand having no sound. My computer is very hard to open and close and I was wondering if anymore knows how i might be able to get the right drivers without having to resort to opening up my complicated computer.

P.S. Damn windows XP! Mad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you had the same problem I did, your sound card isn't actually a 'card' but rather it is integrated into the motherboard. It's also a horrible piece of shit for which you can't find a manufacturer's website, or even a manufacturer. If that's the case, you'll have to go to microsoft.com and do an automatic update.
EDIT: y'know what? You can probably get the right drivers there even if it isn't an integrated sound card.
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

open up hte computer , l;ook at hte serial number and hte Manufactuer , that way you make sure you get the exact drivers you need , your gonna wanna open up hte case , for reference , so that you know exactly what you need , its the way it works , your harware profiles will give a vague discription , , best method is to physically look at it your self
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah I'd have to say you should open up your computer...

you should do that anyways every now and then and blow all the dust out, esp out of the fan(s).

if microsoft doesn't have them you can try www.drivers.com

Cheers
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As some people have already stated, the best way is to open your computer and physically check for the sound card. The first thing you should look for is how many PCI cards you have. Don't be surprised if you have none. This would obviously mean the sound card is integrated in the motherboard. If the sound card is not integrated, you can easily check which one you have by simply reading the labels which should be present on the bottom of the sound card (may require removal of sound card). If you don't have a separate sound card, then you will need to check the label on the motherboard. This will tell you which motherboard you have so you can get the appropriate drivers.

If opening the computer didn't help or you couldn't get it open, try updating your motherboard. There is a good chance that your sound card is integrated. Integrated sound cards usually share a driver with the motherboard so simply installing the appropriate motherboard drivers could enable your sound card.

If you don't know which motherboard you have, you can find information about it in the device manager.

An alternative method is to download SiSoft Sandra. Sandra is a troubleshooting/benchmark utility that can display a lot of info about your comp.

If this doesn't work, at least you now have the latest motherboard drivers.... Very Happy

To open the device manager;
- Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'.
- Click on the 'Hardware' tab.
- Click the 'Device Manager' button.

To get Sisoft Sandra;
- Go to this web site.
- Download and install Sisoft Sandra.
- Launch Sisoft Sandra.
santabruzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well you don't really need to open the computer to check if you have onboard sound or not, just check the ports.. and once you do look at the sound card.. usually with the speaker and all of those ports, if it is not integrated than look up the main chip on google, and you'll find out what it is. If it is integrated, look at the Motherboard number, and look that up to find the Make... etc..
DanShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah...do the last part of what LovelyCrap said. (about my computer->etc .) The best way to start checking for errors, is to ask your computer. If it doesnt know, check it out yourself. Smile
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: