Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 SE vs CS
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm   Post subject: SE vs CS

When applying for a job at some software company for some software position, does it really matter weather you have a degree in SE or CS? Are they treated equally in software development sectors? The only reason I'm wondering is because I was looking to do SE, but the requirements are soooo much more for it then CS, and if theres no difference in getting a job, why do SE?

Thanks,
Nathan
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

I'm going to take a guess and say you are looking at UW. First, look on the compsci blog to see the differences (there are a number of articles on this). Second, this is my quick overview.

DISCLAIMER: The rest of this post deals strictly with U of Waterloo's CS vs SE programs.

SE - starts you off with a few more 'practical' courses and the whole program is structured to give you a strong understanding of how to develop software, work in teams, gain skills related to various types of software design. There are also a few courses that are there to help earn the chance to take the exam to earn the title of engineer after you graduate if you wish.

CS - starts with a general math first year and allows more flexibility in your program and what courses you take. Generally these courses may tend to be a bit more on the theoretical side.

Now I made the distinction of practical and theoretical but that is only because I don't have a better word to use. They are almost identical when it comes to that and if you wish, CS majors can end up with nearly the same courses as an SE major if they wish. I personally only chose CS because of the fact that I wanted to be able to pursue other interests with electives during my degree.

In terms of jobs, they are basically identical especially in terms of co-op where almost every job listed for one of the programs is also listed for the other.

Another thing I've noticed is that SE students will get to be really good friends since there are fewer in a class and they generally take all of their classes together (it's this way for most engineering programs at UW... think elementary school but actually doing work). CS students generally are spread out with all the other math majors and so you are much less likely to share multiple courses with others and it becomes more of an effort outside of class to build your social group.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

UW is my first choice, and thanks for all the information! I'm leaning towards CS right now, this information will definetly help me make my decision

Thanks!
Nathan
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

No problem. Also if you need any more specifics, I'll be glad to talk about them. Especially if you are looking at the advanced level CS course in first year.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

I don't really need specifics yet, I just need to know which one I'm planning on doing, since I need to pick my grade 11 courses differently for CS or SE. If I have any questions though, Ill message you!

Nathan
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

My recommendation is to keep your options open and take the courses needed for SE (since SE has all the same pre req's as CS plus others)
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 pm   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

I've been wondering this too. Thanks!
What's UW though?
Sly14Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 am   Post subject: RE:SE vs CS

University of Waterloo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: