Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Software development for Mac
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
neuro.akn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 pm   Post subject: Software development for Mac

I'm looking to develop a program for Mac, specifically iOS, but am unsure of which language to use. I know that of course Xcode and Objective-C are ideal for Apple development; however, you need to agree to licensing and things like that, and my snow leopard OS is not compatible with Xcode. Which languages can I use to develop a complex program for iOS that I can simply download?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

You need Xcode to get your basic programming tools on your machine, even if you're not going to be using Xcode directly.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Software development for Mac

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3tl6ar/
neuro.akn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

Tony, I don't really know what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

if you want to make an iOS app, you need tools that come packaged with Xcode for any language of your choice.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
neuro.akn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 am   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

Okay, I see. Thank you. Are there any recommendations of which language I use? The program I am looking to build is complex and structured. Somewhat hard to describe, sorry.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 am   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

Use Objective-C. It's a good language and you won't be swimming against the current.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 am   Post subject: Re: Software development for Mac

As Tony said, Xcode is required as it provides the toolchain to compile, link, sign, deploy, and debug iOS applications. As wtd has said, Objective-C is the primary language for developing both iOS as well as Mac applications. It's a decent language with some nifty features, though it can be quite verbose.

There are other languages that you can use on iOS if you desire. Objective-C is the path of least resistance and just about everybody knows it who develops on iOS.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 am   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

If you choose to go with mono you get the ability to cross-compile to android, iOS or windows phone, meaning you just have to change the interface for each one (which ideally should be the least difficult part).
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Software development for Mac

Xcode is on your OSX install disks, if you still have them.
ncvitak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Software development for Mac

If you are running on snow leopard it is only $20 I think to upgrade to Mountain Lion, and then Xcode is available for free off of the Mac App Store. Xcode is one of the most advanced IDE's in the world, so it is a must have if you are programming any C language, and you have a Mac. Without Xcode you do not have the tools to publish, let alone create an app for Mac or iOS.

Also
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD OLDER XCODE VERSIONS FROM APPLE THAT ARE COMPATIBLE WITH SNOW LEOPARD
Xcode 3.2.6 for Snow Leopard: https://adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3__final/xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg

More developer tools: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: