Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Insectoid @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm wrote:
Quote:
possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device

This is against Apple's iOS TOS.

No it is not, I just read through it:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41213383/iOS-Developer-Program-License-Agreement
Specifically look at 3.3.2, you're allowed to use an interpreted language so long as it's included in the package and not downloaded any other way. You can also use javascript but can only download and run it using Apple's WebKit framework (which means that all browsers legally must share the same scripting engine, and therefore no other company can make a faster browser in terms of javascript speed, which I personally think violates some sort of anti-competitive law, but that's a separate point). This means running pyhton code interpreted on the device is 100% allowed, so long as all the python code is packaged within the app, and not downloaded. You in theory could also use WebKit to download and run javascript, and interface with that as a way to add a scripting/modding capability. It might even be allowed to extract you're scripts to an isolated storage, and run the scripts from there, and tell the user "Do not put any new scripts in this folder Wink"[/url]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

mirhagk @ 3/13/2013, 10:54 am wrote:
Insectoid @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm wrote:
Quote:
possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device

This is against Apple's iOS TOS.

No it is not, I just read through it:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41213383/iOS-Developer-Program-License-Agreement
Specifically look at 3.3.2, you're allowed to use an interpreted language so long as it's included in the package and not downloaded any other way. You can also use javascript but can only download and run it using Apple's WebKit framework (which means that all browsers legally must share the same scripting engine, and therefore no other company can make a faster browser in terms of javascript speed, which I personally think violates some sort of anti-competitive law, but that's a separate point). This means running pyhton code interpreted on the device is 100% allowed, so long as all the python code is packaged within the app, and not downloaded. You in theory could also use WebKit to download and run javascript, and interface with that as a way to add a scripting/modding capability. It might even be allowed to extract you're scripts to an isolated storage, and run the scripts from there, and tell the user "Do not put any new scripts in this folder Wink"[/url]

Oh, that's good Razz
If Turing is used, what will it look like? o_O

Edit: Wow... you actually read the long thing xD I barely read ToA's.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Turing definitely won't work. It's Windows-only.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Insectoid @ 3/25/2013, 8:25 pm wrote:
Turing definitely won't work. It's Windows-only.

Oh xD

Would it at least run on a mac or linux though?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Nope. There have been attempts to make Turing cross-platform, but there's actually a ton of stuff to Turing, most of which is never actually used so a lot of the projects are slow-moving or stagnant. Open Turing is you're best bet right now.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:13 pm   Post subject: Re: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Since c++ works... how does someone do that? I'm just wondering Razz
Is there some kind of way to convert your program? (I'm guessing not though lol, probably something else)
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:24 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

C++ runs natively on android and windows phone. I know C works fine on iOS, and for C++ it requres a little work but
http://lmbtfy.com/?q=C%2B%2B+on+iphone
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

mirhagk @ 3/26/2013, 4:24 pm wrote:
C++ runs natively on android and windows phone. I know C works fine on iOS, and for C++ it requres a little work but
http://lmbtfy.com/?q=C%2B%2B+on+iphone

I'd prefer http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C%2B%2B+on+iphone better xD
I'll just worry with that later actually Razz

P.s. Thanks for introducing that site to me Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: