Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I need help getting started on c++
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
storm2713687

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 pm   Post subject: I need help getting started on c++

Hey guys,
I'm just wondering, what do I need to start coding with c++? I've read the sticky'd walkthrough in the tuts section, which I downloaded notepad++ (actually, I already had it). I'm going to download a compiler, but what else do I need to download?
Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm   Post subject: RE:I need help getting started on c++

That's it. That's a basic setup. You write your code in notepad++, and you use the command-line (cmd in Windows) to call the compiler.

You can download an IDE like Code::Blocks if you want (and I recommend you do), but it's not strictly necessary. Code::Blocks also has the option to have its installer install your compiler, too, which you should use.
storm2713687

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:42 pm   Post subject: Re: I need help getting started on c++

Perfect! Thanks a lot. Very Happy
Oh btw, how do you call the compiler on cmd?
Panphobia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm   Post subject: RE:I need help getting started on c++

Actually, you can get the G++ compiler http://www.mingw.org/ from there and connect it to the netbeans ide, if you're just starting out it is much easier to use netbeans.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm   Post subject: RE:I need help getting started on c++

By its name. If you're using gcc or g++ then you can start with just gcc or g++, which will then tell you more about the command. If you want help, try gcc --help.

You have to make sure that the compiler is on the system's PATH variable, which tells the command shell where to look for the compiler's executables. If you install with Code::Blocks, there's an option in the installer; if you install MinGW (which is what's bundled in Code::Blocks) then there should be an option in that installer. Otherwise, you're on your own: look up "how to add (compiler name) to path" online.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: