Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tristanbryce7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 am   Post subject: What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

I am thinking of pursuing a career in computers, but than I saw all these different types of computer jobs (P,E,S = Programmer/Engineer/Scientist)
So I was hoping I could get a clear answer on what was the difference between each and what each one does, and preferably, which one would be highest in paying and demand for the future. Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am   Post subject: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

Think of it in terms of building construction.

A programmer is construction worker. He writes the actual program.

An engineer is...the engineer. He designs the program so the programmers can build it.

The scientist is researching new materials like improved insulation and stronger trusses that an engineer can use in his designs.
tristanbryce7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 am   Post subject: Re: What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

So in your opinion, in terms of demand and pay , which one would be the best to pursue?
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am   Post subject: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

I personally think that's a bad way to go about figuring out your future. You'll be happier doing something that suits you or that you really want rather than the one that pays the most.

In any case, I really think it just depends on where you go mostly
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:04 am   Post subject: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

I personally think that's a bad way to go about figuring out your future. You'll be happier doing something that suits you or that you really want rather than the one that pays the most.

In any case, I really think it just depends on where you go mostly, and what level you achieve in each strand
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

Raknarg @ Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am wrote:
You'll be happier doing something that suits you or that you really want rather than the one that pays the most.

I've been pointing this out elsewhere, but there's a good chance that no one knows what will pay the most at some point in the future anyway.

A very specific example is that when I graduated from University, the most in-demand technical skills were around AWS, iOS, Ruby on Rails. When I entered the University, none of those technologies were in use. The landscape is changing so fast that if you plan on studying the most in-demand technologies _now_, you'll already be outdated by the time you finish.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
BigBear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

Tony @ Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm wrote:
Raknarg @ Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am wrote:
You'll be happier doing something that suits you or that you really want rather than the one that pays the most.

I've been pointing this out elsewhere, but there's a good chance that no one knows what will pay the most at some point in the future anyway.

A very specific example is that when I graduated from University, the most in-demand technical skills were around AWS, iOS, Ruby on Rails. When I entered the University, none of those technologies were in use. The landscape is changing so fast that if you plan on studying the most in-demand technologies _now_, you'll already be outdated by the time you finish.

What would you say is the most in-demand now?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:48 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the difference between a Computer Programmer/Engineer/Scientist

Technologies in demand vary depending on what specific cross-section of the world you're looking at. In web systems, HTML5 is all the new rage, and for a lot of companies it's still mobile being a huge thing (although it's shifted from just iOS to include a little of android).

It's really hard to pinpoint what's the most in demand, because the industry is so spread out that you need to look at sections to get any idea of what's in. Databases and websites are huge for businesses right now for instance, but other sections wouldn't even touch any of the same stack of tools.

You're best bet is to understand things, rather than trying to learn them. Computer science is not something you can study, it's something you can explore, and understand, and comprehend. You can't memorize it.

Learning PHP is useless, I don't say that because I think PHP sucks, I say that because you shouldn't learn PHP, you should learn concepts, ways to solve problems, how things work, and then apply them to PHP.

As for the original question, in theory Computer Science is for those who want to study algorithms and abstract concepts, engineering is for those who want to design solutions to real world problems. In practice you'll notice the titles severely abused everywhere though.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: