Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Good Beginner Program in C#?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm   Post subject: Good Beginner Program in C#?

Just realized we don't have a C# forum.

I'm picking up C# due to it's similarity to Java in syntax. I'm wondering what would be a good program that would focus on the strengths/features of C# libraries.

I'm not looking for a algorithm based problem (console based checkout / simple math). Those could easily be done in another language.

Also, is putting the opening bracket { on it's own line a widely common practice? Or is it just common because VS enforces it? Which probably amounts to the same thing.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Panphobia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Good Beginner Program in C#?

Hello World......Very Happy
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Good Beginner Program in C#?

Panphobia @ Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 pm wrote:
Hello World......Very Happy

Excuse me while I roll my eyes at your sillyness.

Zren has greeted the world properly. He sits at his computer desk. What should he do next?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Good Beginner Program in C#?

Pick out a fun library and see what you can do with it. Welcome to the wonderful world of C#, it's a great place.

.NET has some awesome libraries for lots of cool tasks, my favourite section of C# lately has got to be LINQ and lambdas. Check out what kind of things you can do (you don't need to connect to sql to use LINQ, but it works just as well with or without the database).

I find people don't really like egyptian style braces, so the majority of the code I've ever seen (even in other languages) puts the braces on a new line. It lets you easily see that all the braces match up.

You can check out stuff on threading, networking, or just experiment by going through all the namespaces.

A fun one is to import the itunes com library and control itunes from C#.
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Good Beginner Program in C#?

mirhagk @ Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 pm wrote:
Pick out a fun library and see what you can do with it. Welcome to the wonderful world of C#, it's a great place.

.NET has some awesome libraries for lots of cool tasks, my favourite section of C# lately has got to be LINQ and lambdas. Check out what kind of things you can do (you don't need to connect to sql to use LINQ, but it works just as well with or without the database).

I find people don't really like egyptian style braces, so the majority of the code I've ever seen (even in other languages) puts the braces on a new line. It lets you easily see that all the braces match up.

You can check out stuff on threading, networking, or just experiment by going through all the namespaces.

A fun one is to import the itunes com library and control itunes from C#.

Hey. What do you use for "Settings"? Specifically to do with Forms stuff.

I've Found the Property.Settings in Visual Studios, and combined it with PropertyGrid.SelectedObject = Propeties.Settings.Default. While it's a nice quick solution, it lacks the description ability of the PropertyGrid. The Settings are in an auto generated file, and doesn't allow for the [Category] + [Description] attributes that are used with a PropertyGrid. I ended up having to create a proxy object to wrap the Settings object (which I had to copy paste from the generated code).

The difference is really apparent:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

vs

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Also the .cs extension isn't allowed to be uploaded here. =.='
What I did can be found here: https://gist.github.com/0af27d365ca14fc8cebd
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: