Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Pokemon - Test RPG
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shadowtrinity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am   Post subject: Pokemon - Test RPG

Well this is a pokemon game I worked during the school year the coding is not that great cause i had to rush things. (Copy Paste Code everytwhere -_- and its a bit buggy) I was wondering how you guys thought of it?
Run Dao_MajorProject.t

Well as of now there are 4 maps , a save system (i recommend looking at the README.txt first) and a really bad battle system and storyline.

dao _ sum 11.rar
 Description:
Test

Download
 Filename:  dao _ sum 11.rar
 Filesize:  17.33 MB
 Downloaded:  676 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raknarg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Pokemon - Test RPG

RPGs are never a good idea for the year project. They take up a rediculous amount of time, and people tend to end up focusing on the wrong parts of the game.
Amarylis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Pokemon - Test RPG

I love the idea- Pokemon was most of my childhood o.o
shadowtrinity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Pokemon - Test RPG

Raknarg @ Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm wrote:
RPGs are never a good idea for the year project. They take up a rediculous amount of time, and people tend to end up focusing on the wrong parts of the game.

Yeah I know what you mean I spent a lot of time on the mapping which took away from a lot of the other aspects i wanted to incorperate. Such as a real storyline of some sort, NPC that work properly (interaction), etc.

I just wanted to do an RPG because it looked like some fun.
shadowtrinity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 am   Post subject: Re: Pokemon - Test RPG

I'm am not sure if any of you have encountered this bug, but some times when leaving a map, the program crashes and says :

Get attempted on incompatible stream number 0, i don't know what this is can someone elaborate?
Aange10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 am   Post subject: RE:Pokemon - Test RPG

Quote:

Get attempted on incompatible stream number 0, i don't know what this is can someone elaborate?

I can't completely elaborate specifically what is happening, but it means that one of your open : stream, "MyFileName.txt", get commands is encountering an error. Usually because the file doesn't exist, but it may be for other reasons. Perhaps it's open elsewhere? Anyways the open function returns a non positive integer upon failure (so the docs say).

So what happened is you opened a file, and instead of putting the file's "Id Number/ Stream Number" into the variable you wanted, it put a 0 in there (because of the error). Then you tried to 'get' from that file (0) and Turing Crashed.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 am   Post subject: RE:Pokemon - Test RPG

There's probably another error for this (along the lines of "Reached End of File"), but it might be because you're trying to read past the end of the file for some reason.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just pulling at straws here

Also @shadowtrinity storyline definitely isnt important. The important part is getting all basic aspects of the game. For something like this, using classes is phenomenally better. You can build pieces of the game rather than trying to figure what goes where and such. For an RPG, I would learn them first. And it makes it 100 000x better organized.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: