Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Its disgusting
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:02 pm   Post subject: Its disgusting

Everyday i go on compsci with the spirit of helping newby programmers, but after seeing a couple of posts in the turing help section, i just wanna leave and never come back. people are taking advantage of compsci.ca way too much... i mean sure if u're stuck, but we all have our own problems, its not like we get paid everytime we help somebody's homework.

compsci.ca is a great site because there are many helpful ppl here who want to be challanged, they dont want to do the same stupid program for every kid in every compsci class. like naoki said, you have a teacher that gets paid to teach you, so why not ask him first? the majority of people on compsci enjoy programming, but not doing other ppl's entire homework for them.

the moral of the story is that if ur stuck, ask ur teacher, if ur teacher wont (or cant) help you, ask the "smart" kids in ur class, if they cant do anything either, search on compsci and see whether if ur question has been asked cuz chances are, it has been. and if that doesnt work, then you can ask nicely by posting some of ur own code and adding some plzs and thank yous
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well Said dodge , i totally agree
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

exactly... but its also cuz i'm busy at the moment, that i can't really help people (well in the java section).. exams.!!!
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dont mind helping , but now with all the poorly labeled threads and vague posts , i tend to just tell people that when the grow up and realize that labeling your thread HELP isnt smart becuase we know you need help when its posted ni teh help forum , there have been dozens of the same questions and some of them just stupid like how do i make a function , <---that should be answered by a teacher or at least look at the book , peopleneed to learn how to learn at school
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

2 bad i don't know turing... if i did i could help a bit..but i would be askign more help then giving Sad
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My favorite was some guy who complained that there were like 13 people who read his post but there were no replys.
The problem, I find is that you can't tell the situation in the class. Although I would not insult any particular teacher we all know that in some schools the kids would be better off teaching themselves CS.
Well with the new semester starting for most schools the number of HELP...HELP...HELP posts shoud drop off for a while.

Oh...Massey Students you can allways PM me with problems, I won't always help but it's worth a shot.
Hunter007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know that I haven't been on this site for long, but I am on other forum sites where stupid newbish questions are asked repeatedly. I admit a lot of the questions posted in Turing Help lately have been extremely badly labeled and most of them have already been answered. Some compsci teachers don't have time to help much-especially now, with exams and final projects, so people come here for help. I also agree that they should be polite and say please and thanks, as the programmers here take time to help them. What I'm really trying to say is not all newb programmers are asking for their programs to be written for them and some are actually trying to do their progs they just need some help and guidance.

Oh and in reference to the Turing Tutorials-that helps out a lot but some problems are more specific. For example a lot of the programmers on this site use advanced code in Turing that a newb hasn't learned yet and wouldn't understand.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I personally dont have problems with kids who are starting to learn the language or want to learn a new technique/algorythm/whatever... heck, I'm glad to help those who want to learn.

on the other hand, if some lamer posts "OMG HELP RIGHT NOW ASAP I'M GONNA DIE IF SOMEONE WILL NOT HELP NOW" asking for basically entire program while having no clue... well... sometimes I wonder if I would look that bad if you'll just start banning people Twisted Evil

one particular question had me puzzling for a while now.
Quote:

why are you taking computer science and why are you still in it?

no, don't answer the question, its not for you. Its for those who honestly don't know the first thing about computer and programming there of. My CS teacher told me there are ~5 kids who should NOT be in the class. I'm just wondering why did it take so long to figure this out (i'm in non semestered school) and why are they still in the course? Thinking
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
santabruzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

personally i believe that the repetition and the non-use of the search command is stupid..... people i guess have just been told it's an easy credit, and want to take it for that reason alone.. half way through the course people want to make program that are beyond there cabilities, and so they begin to plagerize, without understanding anything... so i say:

Quote:
Have a question? Click here
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd expect that the HELP threads were at an alltime high just a few days ago with final projects due...

the silence after the storm sure is sweet Very Happy
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That was just crazy ,the amount of people that joined and only made one post , il garuntee 40% will never come back
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, lol... the uniques counter jumped up like 30% in the past week Laughing

seriously though... with the current level of standart... any program that just compiles and appears to work will get a good grade Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah I usually got 100% on all my programs last year.

oh btw, what does that unique hits thing mean?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

unique IPs accessing compsci.ca in the last week (that being 7 days from now)
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol McKenzie joined at the beginning of this school year and he's already in the middle of the member list when ur sorted by date
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: