Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ryerson vs Guelph !
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ddndd321

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 am   Post subject: Ryerson vs Guelph !

hi guys
im finishing high school right now.
i have been accepted to both ryerson (bachelor of computer science) and UoG (Bachelor of Computing with honors)
im not sure what to do with
any advice ?
i have been to the ryerson campus since im from toronto, never been to Guelph
also can you guys tell me the differences between cs and Bachelor of Computing, i looked it up on wiki and i didnt see any real differences !

Thanks guys
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 am   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

- go check out Guelph (both the campus and the city); it's very close to Toronto
- the name of the degree doesn't matter much. Specific courses (what's required to take, and what's available to take) do -- compare the two, see which one might appeal to your interests better.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ddndd321

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

Tony @ Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 am wrote:
- go check out Guelph (both the campus and the city); it's very close to Toronto
- the name of the degree doesn't matter much. Specific courses (what's required to take, and what's available to take) do -- compare the two, see which one might appeal to your interests better.

Thanks for the reply man.
im interested in programming the most so right now im guessing guelph is the best option.

ryerson
wants me to take 2 maths, 2 comp sci and a credit in philosophy/english/arts/history

guelph
wants me to take 1 math and 3 courses that i choose !

i will check out guelph asap and see what it is like
i would appreciate if anyone who went to either of these universities would share a bit about the experience

Thanks again
swapnilshah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

Did you end up making your decision?!
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:53 am   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

Just a note that in first year when they give you electives, they are basically telling you to take some philosophy/English/arts/history course. I know McMaster doesn't let you take very many computer science courses as electives first year.

I applied to Guelph, and was accepted, and offered a $2000 scholarship, and was sent emails almost every day, including once school actually started, (I rejected their offer almost immediately after getting into McMaster). They seemed quite desperate for computer science students, because I wasn't even very special, like I didn't even get accepted to Waterloo. That might mean their computer science program isn't very big/strong, so you might want to check it out to be sure.
swapnilshah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

How are you liking McMaster so far? If I dont get accepted into UofT and Toronto, I'm definitely going there.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

I like McMaster a lot, it's great.
Night

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:04 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

mirhagk @ Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:53 am wrote:
I applied to Guelph, and was accepted, and offered a $2000 scholarship, and was sent emails almost every day, including once school actually started, (I rejected their offer almost immediately after getting into McMaster). They seemed quite desperate for computer science students, because I wasn't even very special, like I didn't even get accepted to Waterloo. That might mean their computer science program isn't very big/strong, so you might want to check it out to be sure.

That's weird, I didn't get daily emails. Sad But the program is small - first year has 113 BComp students. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, though.
Quote:
Just a note that in first year when they give you electives, they are basically telling you to take some philosophy/English/arts/history course. I know McMaster doesn't let you take very many computer science courses as electives first year.

At Guelph you can take basically anything you want as electives, as you're required to complete an "area of application" (almost a full minor) to go along with your degree. It gives you room to try different fields before deciding what you want to declare as your area of application (I think that's by the end of second year or something).
swapnilshah @ Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:32 pm wrote:
If I dont get accepted into UofT and Toronto

Last I checked, UofT == Toronto. Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
araisbec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson vs Guelph !

I feel obliged to chime in here and offer you my insight.

I am in my 4th year of Computer Science at Guelph. Yes, it is a smaller program then University of Waterloo or University of Toronto. However, so far I think that it's computer science degree program is excellent; I have learned so much it's rediculous, and they do provide you with a very solid theoretical base to work off of. For example, at the moment I am proficient at Java, C#, C, Python, SQL, and I can read and understand assembly (for the Motorola 68k, lol). The great thing about the theory is that now I can pick up new skills/languages very fast.

Also, I have often found myself googling specific questions during assignment time, and I've got to say, I've seen a LOT of the EXACT SAME stuff tought at Waterloo, UofT, etc... So while University of Waterloo may have an edge over Guelph, you're still going to learn the same basic skills you need to succeed.

The campus on Guelph is beautiful, and small (which is nice, trust me). The town is also great. If anyone ever has a bad thing to say about Guelph, they're likely from Western and have some superiority complex over our football team or something.

Anyway, here's my mandatory little peice of life advice to end this off: "Worry less about the school, and more about gaining REAL WORLD experience during your degree, as well as developing good communications skills and the ability to sell yourself in an office/business environment". As long as you get the degree, and you succeed at the above, you will succeed.

The only reason I wrote that last bit is because I notice something very often in Computer Science in particular which is kind of sad; There are a lot of really talented computer nerds out there, but a good portion of them also have great difficulty with communications skills and other "life skills". The education will only take you so far.

Sorry for the rant. Guelph is a good school, and I just felt compelled to share my thoughts so far in my own professional journey. I am actually going to post this as a thread so that prospective Guelph Comp Sci students know something. Good luck, and have fun! Wink
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: