Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 American Computer Science League
Index -> Contests
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
yuethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:35 pm   Post subject: American Computer Science League

I wonder if anyone has participated in, or even have heard of, the American Computer Science League, ACSL for short. Its programming problems are similar to CCC, from what I have observed; they are a lot harder than the first round of CCC, and a little bit easier than the final round questions. ACSL also has a written portion, for which you have to answer 4 rounds of 5 questions each in 30 minutes. The topics include boolean algebra, digital electronics, bit string flicking, graph theory, binary trees, etc.

The league this year is well under-way... my school is poised for the All-Star Contest (in which the top 15 schools or so are invited to compete) (and I'm the captain) but unfortunately, due to the war in Iraq and the teachers' work-to-rule situation in North York, our trip is cancelled this year.

Well, that's probably more information than you need anyway. Hope to see you on ACSL next year. 8)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that sucks, work to rule blows
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey yuethomas, thx for letting us know. Personally I've never heard of it. It would be great if next year you'd remind us in advance so the rest of us would have a chance to convince our schools to participate (meaning let us know well in advance of registration deadline).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
yuethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, some more information:

There are 3 divisions to the contest: Junior, Intermediate, Senior
    Each school can have a maximum of one team in any one of the divisions; 3 teams max in total
    Each team can be consisted of either 3 or 5 people
    There are 4 rounds to the league, each round consisting of 1 written portion and 1 programming problem
    The written portion is consisted of 5 problems to be answered in the duration of 30 minutes
    The programming problem is to be solved within 72 hours of receiving the problem
    Any help is allowed (outside, internet, books, etc) but no plagiarism between contestants is tolerated
    The program will be tested against a set of 5 test data for 5 marks
    The written portion is also worth 5 marks
    Thus one rounds accounts for 10 marks for each individual
    Perfect-score written papers and perfect-score programs are returned to the league administration
    The school's top 3 or 5 scorers (see above concerning team size) are added to the school's score (the top scorers need not be the same every round)
    At the end of 4 rounds, the top 15 or so schools are invited to the all-star contest
    All-star contest has a written part and a programming part too
    Written part has 10 questions (harder than usual) to be answered in 1 hour
    Programming part has 5 (or 3) programming problems to be solved among the 5 (or 3) team members with 3 (or 2) computers within 3 hours
    Top scorers on the all-star contest are awarded prizes, and the top schools are awarded medals and prizes

Website is at
http://www.acsl.org/.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thx for the info, but I'm afraid I'm out of the picture there... you see... there're only 2 students in my school who can program. Myself and my friend who's graduating this year. There for the whole school can get a max of 10 points since I'll be the only one writing it... Bummer... a School with a single team of 5 people getting 2 points each is worth the same Sad
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: