Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Admission Averages
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
busterkomo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Apparently I only got 96.4 on the advanced functions exam I just wrote (my excuse: she marked it wrong). I was entering the exam with a 99.7, so luckily I still finish the course with a 98.7 (rounded up to 99).

The best way to stop yourself from making small mistakes is to just sub the answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation, though I realise you cannot do this for every question.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Yeah, well at a certain point that 2 marks doesn't make a huge difference so I don't bother with double and triple checking closely. A 98 to finish the course is good enough for Universities to understand that is a strength for me.
RyanGDI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

For anyone interested in Carleton, I found this interesting link: http://oirp.carleton.ca/hsgrades/average-without-degree-35.xl1

Basically, it's admissions statistics for First-Year CompSci students at Carleton coming in from HS. Of course it's butchered when looking at it from Firefox, but if you take the text and pitch it into Notepad and save it as a webpage, you'll get this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

So basically if I've got this right, anyone with a 73-74% or better shouldn't have the faintest worry about getting accepted. Hope this helps! ^_^
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Apparently universities have a average modifier based on the high school you went to, and the marks that students from that high school received in first year (like if students from one school are entering in with 90's from high school, but failing first year, then that school likely marks too easily)

I would like to see some document for this if anyone could find it (unlikely to find it, as it's probably all internal confidential infomation, so I'd be impressed if someone did)
Night

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I'll post what I have so far:

University: Carleton
Program: Honours Bachelor of Computer Science (Computer Game Development), Co-op

Grades:
MHF4U - 75
SBI4U - 72
ICS4U - 94
TGJ4M - 90
+ 2 grade 11 courses (I assume)

Average: Considering I have no idea what 3U/M courses they used, 81-86%

Application result: Accepted w/ scholarship + residence, mid-February.
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

May as well contribute:

Applied to:
McMaster Engineering
Waterloo Software Engineering
UofT Engineering

Application average was 90 ish, wrote Euclid/CCC and did decently well, no mentionable extracurriculars, accepted to all 3 programs. (Although Waterloo took forever)

Currently attending McMaster, although I hear our cutoff is supposed to spike this year due to overcrowding. I feel I should stress that a 90 average will get you in pretty much anywhere in Canada unless it's a really small first year class like UofT's EngSci. It's worth it to try and keep really high averages for the entrance scholarships though, as they are renewable!
Velocity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Advanced Functions - 98.4
Chemistry - 99.6
Gym - 91 (which is pretty strange cause im good at sports)
Calculas and Vectors - 97.9

That was last semester.
This semester i have computer science
physics
biology
english

physics is god kill me boring, it doesnt help that our teacher is asian and has a ph.d and strictest marker you will ever see...
hopefully ill come out around
computer science - 100 (garunteed)
physics - 90 ish
biology - 95 ish
english 98 or higher
trishume

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

Velocity @ Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm wrote:
Advanced Functions - 98.4
Chemistry - 99.6
Gym - 91 (which is pretty strange cause im good at sports)
Calculas and Vectors - 97.9

That was last semester.
This semester i have computer science
physics
biology
english

physics is god kill me boring, it doesnt help that our teacher is asian and has a ph.d and strictest marker you will ever see...
hopefully ill come out around
computer science - 100 (garunteed)
physics - 90 ish
biology - 95 ish
english 98 or higher

Whoah! Hadn't you said in an earlier post that your last English mark was in the high 70s? How did you possibly get a 98 in English?
In my school I'm pretty sure no-one has ever gotten a 98 in English. Is a typo, do you have an easy teacher, got way more pro at English, or I misinterpreted your previous posts and you were always amazing at English?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
crossley7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

98 in English? I'm pretty sure that isn't even possible at our school. Also, how do you get 98 in english but can't spell guaranteed?
Velocity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

i said thats what i hope to get this semester. Typos on the internet mean nothing. I dont take time to revise what i type. I just post.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I am currently going for my masters degree in QuantumPhysics - if anyone has any questions to ask about university / college, feel free to ask me Smile
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

how do you do a master's degree?
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

mirhagk @ 7th March 2012, 9:24 pm wrote:
how do you do a master's degree?

Slowly and painfully.

Prerequisites

[1] Get a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. Honours degree is prefreded.
    [2] Have nothing better to do or want to put off getting a job.

Application

[1] Apply to a university for a masters program (some times you talk to potential supervisors first/during application).
    [2] Apply for scholarships, grants, etc.
    [3] Be admitted to a masters program.

First Year (first 3 terms)

[1] Apply for and/or accept graduate teaching assistant position (TA) or graduate research assistant position (RA) that you will do ~10 hours/week for money and experience.
    [2] Start talking masters level courses required for the program while looking for a supervisor (if you don't have one). This noramly includes a graduate seminar course.
    [3] Find supervisor and discuss potental reseach projects (noramly this would be realted to their area of research).
    [4] Create research project proposal and submit to deparment/graduate office/etc (depending on how your unversitiy does it, may also include a mini proposal defence) and get it approved.
    [5] Start literature review of project subject area.
    [6] Complete required courses (noramly after 1st year or 1st term depending on how many courses are requried).
    [7] Complete literature review and start some basic work on the project.
    [8] Write paper about the work you have done so far and try to get it submited to a conference (journal is better but at this point it is likely a work in progress and would be easyer to the pass peer review of a conference).

Second Year (2-3 terms)

[1] Reapply for and/or accept TA/RA position for the year.
    [2] Finish most research work while starting to write thesis.
    [3] Fail to get results, waste lots of time, procrastinate, lots of depression
    [4] More writing, try to get another paper or two published.
    [5] Plan to be done at end of year, fail to meet that goal.
    [6] Apply for 1st time extension, tell supervisor it will be done next term for sure!

Bonus term 1

[1] Cry as the university stops giving you money and TA/RA positions.
    [2] Go into massive debt.
    [3] Try to get thesis done by end of term.
    [4] Think "oh shit i need a graduate committee".
    [5] See lots of ಠ_ಠ from your supervisor.
    [6] Work with supervisor to find intenral and external thesis examiners for committe.
    [7] Tell committee your sure you will be done by the end of this term!
    [8] Fail to be done by the end of the term.
    [9] Apply for 2nd time extension.

Bonus term 2

[1] More writing, lots of editing.
    [2] Screw it, it's good enough and i want to graduate some day.
    [3] Apply to graduate.
    [4] Giver supervisor "final" copy.
    [5] Supervisor rejects it and has masive changes.
    [6] Make changes, resubmit to him. Repate steps 3-5 untill stack overflow.
    [7] Supervisor gives "final" copy to commite.
    [8] Internal examiner backs out when they seen the size of it and they have to much to do.
    [9] Find new internal examiner and give them copy.
    [10] Internal and external report back with one of "accepted", "accepted with minor changes", "accepted with major changes", "rejected".
    [11] In case of first two, make changes and resubmit to supervisor for final aproval from them. In case of last two, go back to step 1 and take another term.
    [12] Schedule defence for a date that seems far off but will be coming far too soon.
    [13] Frantically make powerpoint slides, prepare, and get any demos ready.
    [14] Post notice about upcoming defence so others can come and laugh at your pain.
    [15] Have defence, be integrated, cry.
    [16] Committe picks "accepted", "accepted with minor changes", "accepted with major changes", "rejected".
    [17] Pray that they say one of the first two, make minor changes.
    [18] Submit thesis for printing and to graduate deparment.
    [19] Get cool bound copy of thesis with university logo on it.
    [20] Fill out lots of forms.
    [21] Convocation.
    [22] Take a nap.

Post Graduation

[1] Try to get whole thesis or parts of it published.
    [2] Apply for PHd program .
    [3] Apply for schoalrships and grants.
    [4] Start the suffering all over!

Note: The above is some what satirical, and many unversities have slightly diffrent processes. Apply addtional "cry", "procrastinate", or "fail" steps as necessary.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sur_real

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Wow...the post graduation seems depressing...
What are the chances of getting your thesis published (other than getting a bound copy from the uni)? like in a journal or something?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:21 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

Sur_real @ 8th March 2012, 12:08 am wrote:

What are the chances of getting your thesis published (other than getting a bound copy from the uni)? like in a journal or something?

It's not unheard of to rewrite a thesis into a book for non peer reivewed publishing but i am not sure how beneficial that is to any one. More likely you may publish a small part of it as one or more papers in a peer reviewed confernce or idealy a peer reviewed journal. I am hoping to rewrite at least a chapter of my thesis which i blive is novel as a paper, however, i am currently perparing for my defence so i will have to see how that goes.

The idea of publishing in the academic world is some what diffrent then in the literary world most peoleop are used to. In acmadenia you very rarely make direct income from your published wroks (unless it is a textbook type deal) and in some case you pay the publisher. Publishing scientific literature is mostly about informing others in the comunity about the work you have been doing, advancments in the field and more vainly promting your reputation. This reputation (of both the authors and the work in the paper) is offten quantified by the number of citations your published papers receive from other published peer reviewed papers. When applying for a job, grant, etc. it is much easy to sell your self with an extensive publication record and a large number of citations.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 11 of 13  [ 189 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: