Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ccc 2012
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
trintith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 pm   Post subject: Ccc 2012

How did everyone do?

I made a really, really stupid mistake on S4, which means that I won't get any points for n=6,7 (so I doubt I made stage 2). The other questions seemed pretty straightforward.

I don't think we're allowed to talk about specific solutions yet.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Snario

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

What did you do for S4?
trintith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

We're not allowed to give specific solutions, if it's like last year.
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

Yeah, probably safest to wait a day or 2 to post or discuss any actual solutions.

1,2,3,5 were all really easy and probably took me a little over an hour combined to do them all, but I didn't know how to do 4. I already know my solution times out so as I ran out of time I put a cap on it so that it might have a slightly better chance to get some cases. Hoping to get lucky enough to make round 2 with a score around 64-65..

Excited to see the proper solution for 4 (I already know mine is a bunch of crap. Couldn't get my head around an efficient solution and used about the worst possible algorithm)

I was actually really disappointed with the difficulty of the contest and thought 5 should have been maybe #3 and then ditch number 3 altogether for a challenging final problem. There will be too many scores in mid 60's or higher.
ultimatebuster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

Thats what we said last year and stage 2 ends being around 62... remind you people in ib or ap can't go due to exams... like myself

Found 1235 to be simple, though my solution for 3 may take too long for 2 million lines... python is pretty slow .. also I madethe mistake of looping through the entire set up one more time than I had to... it took about half a second with 2 million inputs

4 is interesting ... my solution is not efficient enough and I didn't have enough time to intergrate a star as I misread 4 and wasted about an half hour.

Anyway it was fun... probably won't get much over 65, unfortunately
ihsh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

Yeah 1, 2, 3 and 5 were so easy that I finished them within 1-1.5 hours.

But I just couldn't even think of an algorithm for problem 4, for I had trouble finding a good representation of each state.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:49 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ccc 2012

ultimatebuster @ Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm wrote:
Thats what we said last year and stage 2 ends being around 62... remind you people in ib or ap can't go due to exams... like myself
Wait, what?
ultimatebuster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ccc 2012

ihsh @ Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:46 pm wrote:
Yeah 1, 2, 3 and 5 were so easy that I finished them within 1-1.5 hours.

But I just couldn't even think of an algorithm for problem 4, for I had trouble finding a good representation of each state.

I didn't have time but i think A star search would have done it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

A* is only as good as the heuristic you choose, which is hard in this scenario.

PS: I did pretty well this year (got 1,2,3,5 and some cases for 4), but it sounds like that might not be good enough, which would suck. Last year was 45 for the certificate cut-off for senior)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

This year's difficulty is so low that I spent 1.5 hrs checking errors. My eyes were almost bleeding at the end.
Q3 and Q5 are overly simple.
I guess the cutoff is around the same as last year
DanielKang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2012

Hello, I did the junior one, and the same problem appeared as J5.
Thankfully, after rocking my head trying to figure out how to do it, I was able to successfully analyze each case then use println.
Notice that for S4, n<8, while in J5, n<5, which made manual work possible (33 cases).

Can I get full marks with this approach? Where I just do the calculations by hand and just print the results out for each case?
If I do, then I have high chance of getting 75/75 which would be awesome considering this is my very first compsci competition.
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

Seems like most people got 4 and part solution. Hopefully that is just because the top people are all posting on here Very Happy I get my results tomorrow during class when my teacher goes over them (He normally has a student help him with scoring programs)

Q3 and 5 were far too easy for their question number as was already stated. Hoping the cut off is around where it was last year so I can hopefully make it Very Happy
RandomLetters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2012

How did you manage to play 33 towers of hanoi games in under 3 hours?
ihsh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2012

DanielKang @ Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:11 pm wrote:
Hello, I did the junior one, and the same problem appeared as J5.
Thankfully, after rocking my head trying to figure out how to do it, I was able to successfully analyze each case then use println.
Notice that for S4, n<8, while in J5, n<5, which made manual work possible (33 cases).

Can I get full marks with this approach? Where I just do the calculations by hand and just print the results out for each case?
If I do, then I have high chance of getting 75/75 which would be awesome considering this is my very first compsci competition.

Wait, I thought for n<=5, there would be 5!=120 cases?
DanielKang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2012

n is less than 5, does not include n = 5
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 9  [ 122 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: