Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca's programming contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

If SWAT was to organize a programming contest, would you participate?
(No ending time set)
Yes, ofcourse!
64%
 64%  [ 61 ]
Yes, but I'd like some prizes.
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
Maybe... if prizes are good
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
No.
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:17 am   Post subject: CompSci.ca's programming contest

If we were to organize a programming contest - along the lines of waterloo's CCC... would you participate?

Vote on the poll and leave some comments. We want to know how many people we should expect, and how to organize it.

I'd like to comment on:

should we charge anything?
if so how?

what kind of prizes would you guys like?
can CompSci.ca afford those?

what kind of problems to have as a part of contest?

etc.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BlAcK TuRtLe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For prizes I'd have to go with Bits. I am really new to Turing so probably will just submit some pixel graphics. Speaking of which I think that there should be seperate categories.
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont think you should charge anything, because theres some of us out here that dont have jobs yet... and it should just be for fun... but with prizes of bits of course Wink ..but if people didnt enjoy programming they shouldnt really participate...
azndragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe you should also have divisons for grade groups. Some grades don't really have the knowledge of people in higher grades. But of course, we just have the hope that all the members will be honest about their age.
octopi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think age is really a factor.... but yes, it should be fair, there are grade 10's and 11's who are smarter, and better at programming then the grade 12's, perhaps it should be based on compsci mark?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what you should realize is that right now about 10 people would participate total...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i only have 13 people in my class... ten should be cool.. but i think there should be 2 divisions, its still a contest... and there's no way some of the people would have a chance... like me..
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

true... cuz if we put everybody in one group, we might as well give the prize to Catalyst right now Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

see.... my point exactly haha Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Catalyst? What about me?
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
Catalyst? What about me?

what about you? Wink

i think the more important question is what about me. let's face it, if this contest has a question that asks you to create a game good enough to get two students (not including the programmer) addicted, then i've got this thing in the bag.
nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:20 pm   Post subject: You could do it in 1 category!

Just have 3 sections.

Easy

Medium

Hard

Award like 50 bits 2 the winner of easy, 100 2 the winner of medium, and 200 to the winner of hard.

So if someone is really good, they much rather get 200 then get the mear 50 bits. That way every skill level will get a chance to get bits and will have to strive to get more bits.

-Nate
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Interesting sujestion. But who do you think should determine in which category the program belongs? Do judges group it with others or do users chouse in which category to submit it?
jamez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The coder of the program should decide.
nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:10 pm   Post subject: coder decides

The person makin the program decides.

If he wan't more bits he won't put his 3d engine, raycasting stuff in easy cause you only get 50 bits. He would try hard!

-Nate
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: