Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
yyd27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm   Post subject: Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

The last line of the input file says:
"2 burger fries drink"

Shouldn't it be: "3 burger fries drink" or "2 burger fries" instead? Or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.[/b]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Revolution

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

Once again...they messed up the test case causing my submission to crash and get 0/5.....
trishume

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:43 pm   Post subject: Re: Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

Once again, I wonder why AJ doesn't write his own programs and test the data.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

This one is actually my fault, not AJs.

The intent was indeed 3 burger fries drink, although (by coincidence), 2 burger fries would have given you the same answer anyway.

@trishume -- this particular error would not have been caught, as the helper number is not actually required to be read. In specific, I would split the line on spaces and just ignore that number.

You could also refer to Q4, for some more detail -- http://dwite.org/questions/ABCA_maze.html
Quote:

It's the night before DWITE, and we're a question short. I just finished my exams a few hours ago, but AJ is gone, studying somewhere in the bowels of University's campus.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
crossley7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

Glad you included the search problem today. Haven't seen one of those yet this year and they are a staple at ECOO/CCC and we will see at least 2 of them between those 2 contests (including all 3 rounds of ECOO)
Donald McSmurfin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 am   Post subject: Re: Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

Could you remark my #3 submission since it seemed to crash on the invalid input? I was on team McDonalds. Thanks.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:47 am   Post subject: Re: Round 3 Question #3 - Error in the input file?

Donald McSmurfin @ Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 am wrote:
Could you remark my #3 submission since it seemed to crash on the invalid input? I was on team McDonalds. Thanks.

That... doesn't happen. http://dwite.org/rules
Quote:

7. Decisions of Judge DWITE are final.

The reason for this is that the judge was designed to run at the time of the contest, mark everything in batches, and then taken offline. Though even if we were to start up the system again and manually forced it to redo a submission, it would still end up with the same results (unless your solution is non-deterministic; that is, guesses at random -- some desperate teams do try such approach, this makes batch remarks a challenge).

I looked at your error log
Quote:

java.util.InputMismatchException

You should have messaged us during the contest, we would have looked into the testcases, put up a notice, and maybe even rolled back the submission attempts (in case your first two were spent on running into this problem). Because other teams were getting 5/5 (for the reasons discussed above), we (wrongfully) assumed that the files must have been okay.

Protip for the future rounds -- use flush() after finishing a testcase, so that your solutions are not lost in a buffer, should the program terminate before writing anything to the output file.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: