Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 am   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

That's simply not true, many pieces of software were written decades ago, yet rewriting them would produce something less than par.

BTW has anyone made a command-line version of the turing compiler yet? I could do some pretty cool things if there is one.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:40 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

mirhagk @ Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 am wrote:
That's simply not true, many pieces of software were written decades ago, yet rewriting them would produce something less than par.

[citation needed]
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Okay tony I'll give you that, I'm just saying if someone were to rewrite Firefox, or apache, or really any huge evolving application, they would likely fail. A lot of work has gone into them over the years, and even though the core pieces might be ancient, and the language used might by ancient, it doesn't mean the thing itself is useless. It's not because Turing is old. it's because it's been out of development for years.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Why would someone fail? Is there some necessary technology that no longer exists?

2001 -- the huge evolving application that is Internet Explorer 6 was released. Firefox's 2004 release didn't fail.

nginx is 9 years younger than Apache, yet it's arguably better for implementing newer approaches.

In general, many software issues (in design, performance, security, etc.) tend to not show up until the software is implemented and in use. Subsequent patches might fix the issue, but is the root of the problem is deep enough (e.g. in the design layer), then patching is ugly and subpar. Taking things learned into account, one (by definition) would be in a better position to write the project, than were those who first implemented it.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Yeah lol, sorry I just meant that there is often a lot of work, and while rewriting it is probably better, it'd be a LOT of work.
trishume

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Donald Knuth. His code is so old that he designed tape search algorithms, but his code is still used today.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 am   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Good news everybody, I convinced my school to switch to Open Turing. Now all of the students will have an easier time doing final projects.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

mirhagk @ November 30th 2011, 7:20 am wrote:
Good news everybody, I convinced my school to switch to Open Turing. Now all of the students will have an easier time doing final projects.

That's pretty cool
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Yeah, with any help I can get the teacher to keep the school's version up to date, so anybody who is working on updating/making it better, you can know that there are people who are using it, and will thank you greatly.
trishume

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

My new editor with autocompletion, themes and stuff will be done soon. That will be a major revision.

For difficulty: when I rage quit (for now) trying to write a compiler, I did a line count.

Open Turing is around 200,000 lines of code. Granted, most of that code is inefficiently generated C code.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

mirhagk @ Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 am wrote:
This has just encouraged me to talk to the head of Computer Science at my school...
trishume

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

I don't want to tick off my school's computer science teacher by calling for 1000 updates.

When I'm done the new editor. I will talk to him.

Autocompletion is almost as important a feature for new programmers as fast speeds.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

maybe if the master wasn't composed of 1000 unlabeled point-releases...
Amarylis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

mirhagk @ Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 am wrote:

Any tips on how I could convince my school to do the same? Just getting Turing itself in my school was apparently heck >.< The IT took it off because he couldn't find any license for it a while ago....

As for Open Turing itself, keep up the good work! I'm very much so fond of how it is right now compared to how Turing 4.1 is, and I am also very much so thankful that you gave the C++ solution to it, it's done wonders for my learning of C++
trishume

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Open Turing - 20-40% Faster Open Source Version of Turing With New Features

Tony @ Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:34 pm wrote:
maybe if the master wasn't composed of 1000 unlabeled point-releases...

I don't know what you mean by "unlabelled." There are lots of commits but they all have messages.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 72 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: