Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:59 pm   Post subject: New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

This is my assignment
and I have posted what I have at the bottom of the assignment.
I am having problems because my instructor just started teaching he actually works for the school and it`s an intro class but he teaches it like we already know it.

Coin Flips 1

Write a program that simulates flipping a coin some number of times. Count how many times the result is "heads" and how many times the result is "tails".

Have the user enter a value to tell your program how many times to flip the coin. If the value they enter is not a positive numeral, have the program ask the user again how many times they would like to flip the coin. Use a "Do While" loop to accomplish this.

Your program should then flip the coin the specified number of times. After each "flip", write an "H" or a "T" to the console window to represent the result of that coin flip. Use a "For" loop to to process the flips.

To actually determine whether your coin flip was a head or a tail, use the Random.Next() function to generate either a 0 or a 1. You can decide which numeric result corresponds to a "heads" result and which is a "tails". Just be consistent.

Once your "For" loop has finished, display a final line that tells the user how many times the coin came up heads and how many times it came up tails.

Here is a sample of what your program should look like. I highlighted the input values to make them stand out (this is not a requirement of the assignment, however). Notice that my program continues to prompt for a valid input value until I give it a positive number:

Melvin T Myles Lab-7 Coin_Flips1
Option Strict On
Module Coin_Flips1

Sub Main()
Dim tempInput As String
Dim Heads As Integer
Dim Tails As Integer
Dim RNG As Random
Dim flips As Integer
Dim strTemp As String
RNG = New Random

Heads =
Tails=
flips= RNG.Next(0, 1))

Do

Console.Write("This program will flip a coin a specified number of times. ")
Console.WriteLine("How many times would you like to flip the coin?")
tempInput = (Console.ReadLine())
If (IsNumeric(tempInput)) Then
flips = CInt(tempInput)
Else
Console.WriteLine("Invalid input. Please input a valid number")

End If
Loop

'Loop-Flip Coin

Console.ReadKey()
End Sub

End Module

Can some one please help never done programming before and I really need to pass this class
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:30 pm   Post subject: Re: New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

mmyles1949 @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:59 pm wrote:
it`s an intro class but he teaches it like we already know it.

Doesn't seem that way.

... Use a "Do While" loop to accomplish this....

... Use a "For" loop to to process the flips....

... use the Random.Next() function to generate either a 0 or a 1....

...Once your "For" loop has finished...

... Here is a sample of what your program should look like.

Your teacher is going much further than most in outlining the steps that you need to take, and even provides code for the bulk of the work already done.

Just follow his steps, one at a time. If you don't understand a particular step (e.g. "how do I use a do-while loop?"), use class or online resources to read up on that.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:48 pm   Post subject: Re: New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

the code you see is what I compiled he doesn't provide code
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:51 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

So a compiled binary? Sure, that's still a bunch of information though. And he still outlines the steps that will get you there.

What is a specific problem(s) that you are having with this assignment?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

its like this I told my instructor you can`t talk thug to a geek and expect them to understand I am not a geek so I really cant catch on to his explanations.
dont get me wrong he is very good and thats why he doesnt know how to slow down for the students that never have done programming.

but in a nutshell I dont know where to start my for to read out the calculations.
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

I had him before in php and the Dean of CIS told him he teaches the class to fast now he is doing VB 10 he still teaches it the same way.
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:10 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

I gave up last time but I am really trying hard to get this i am a disabled vet going to school through a veterans vocational rehabilitation program and cant afford to fail.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

mmyles1949 @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 pm wrote:
I had him before in php

never done programming before

wut?

mmyles1949 @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 pm wrote:
in a nutshell I dont know where to start my for[-loop?] to read out the calculations.

As soon as you know how long your loop should be (so right after getting valid input from the user).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

Thank You I will try to put it together
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:07 pm   Post subject: Re: New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

Hey Tony I figured the other assignment out took sometime but I got it but I posted another could look it over for me
mmyles1949

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 pm   Post subject: Re: New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

Scratch that I need to know how to increment in 5`s across the top of the table up to 30 here`s what i got

'Melvin T Myles Loan3
Option Strict On
Module Loan3

Sub Main()
Dim CursorPosition As Integer

Console.WriteLine(" Loan Payment table for a Loan of $100000 ")
Console.WriteLine()
Console.Write(" ")
For table1 As Integer = 5 to 30

CursorPosition = Console.CursorLeft
Console.Write(CDbl(Format(table1, "0#")))
CursorPosition = Console.CursorLeft
Console.CursorLeft = CursorPosition + 2
Next
Console.WriteLine()
Console.WriteLine(" ------------------------------------")

For table2 As Integer = 1 To 9

Next
Console.WriteLine()
Console.ReadKey()
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm   Post subject: RE:New to programming need help in visual Basic 10 assignments

if you can increment loops by 1, then you can simply count up to 5s before doing any useful work.

You can then look up the documentation on for-loops to see if they allow you to specify by how much to increment the counter.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: