Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Minecraft Server
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Would you use a CompSci.ca Minecraft Server?
(No ending time set)
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Have minecraft but would not use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have minecraft but would use if i did.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Don't have minecraft and will never get it/would never use server.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:47 pm   Post subject: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Would any one be interested in a CompSci.ca Minecraft server?

If so what mods or custom Server would you like to see used?

Update: Server now online.

Update 2: Server update to 1.6.6 and online for testing

Update 2: Server update to 1.8.1 and online
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

I would like it, but I would also like to see something that isn't just spam crazy lol. If there is some way to section of building lol that would be amazing (I know it's not, but if anyone could do it, compsci could)

I never really got into a server, mostly because they were super unfriendly to any new members, or because it was impossible to build something without it being gone next time.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

If we set up a server it would welcome all new members, epstialy compsci.ca members. I am just starting to look into minecraft server mods and custom servers so i am unsure if there is anything that would partition it in such a way or if that would be desired.

If any one knows of some good mods or custom servers to pervent griefing let us know.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Zren

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:43 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Bukkit - Plugins

Basically it's a wrapper, and very very extensive wrapper that's reverse engineered nearly all of the java server.

I haven't played since before the wolves, but the standard plugins back then was:
WorldEdit (ingame cuboid editing)
VoxelSniper (Long range editing)
Essentials (Bulky everyday stuff)
One of the teleporter plugins. Stargates?
I think worldedit protects, in cuboid areas, there were a few others if not.

Also, you might want to consider pre-generating a map of significaint size, as generating live seriously drags without enough CPU power.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:11 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

I mean you don't have to partition alot of space to each person, I'm not talking continents, but enough that if you wanted to build something cool you can without worry. Also zren mentioned teleport mods? Perhaps have the main area spawn into a room where you can choose to go to the common grounds, or several themed areas or something, and one teleporter leads to the sectioned off areas. That way if people want the areas they can, and if they don't they can just ignore it.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:08 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

I don't have minecraft but still think it is a good idea to set up a server for those who will use it
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Right now i am testing out the Residence plugin for bukkit which lets players create there own residences where they set the rules (tnt, dvd, can any one go in that area, who can build, etc).

More info: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-mech-econ-residence-v2-0-self-serve-area-protection-system-buy-sell-land-iconomy-766.9358/

Also looking into the Wormhole X-Treme plugin for multiworld travel: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tp-wormhole-x-treme-multi-world-capable-stargates-v0-853-766.1782/
Nick

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

I've used world edit and MCMMO and I find they are both good mods, I used World Edit for an adventure map I am working on and MCMMO for everything else

MCMMO adds skills as well as spawn points, teams, team teleports, and some other neat stuff

Also I have a friend who is working on a very extensive RPG mod, I'll let you know more about that when he lets me know more
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:35 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

That's awesome Dan. This server is going to be great. Also I have a question about Minecraft servers lol, is there any concievable way we could run one on the school computers (we can run the program, only the connections don't work, they return an html file)
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

My friend and I run a Minecraft server so far invite only but definitely would like to play on a compsci server.

Star gates or equivalent is a must
Big Brother [requires SQL server tho] for anti grief
Towny or a residence mod would be great
ace's to the /give command is great
iconomy
copthesaint

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:31 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Lol... I cant believe you guys Razz... Will this be a F2p Server? Smile I think since you cant enter nether on server generally, you should introduce a leveling system like this server has
jdkmc.servegame.com:25565

Also why do you need anti grief? Wink make it Pvp lol

It would be so cool if there was a star wars minecraft mod.... lol You can manipulate your speed and jump... you should be able to shot lightning bolts too Very Happy lol
ecookman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:45 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

copthesaint @ Fri May 20, 2011 7:31 am wrote:

Also why do you need anti grief? Wink make it Pvp lol

when people lava your shit its really annoying.
Personally i like building and PVP so a PVP area on the map would be cool/
jli1

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:05 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Make it a build/creative world type thing, giving certain users access to using some kind of world protection thing. That way people can protect their own stuff easily if they have the protection access.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:30 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

An update on the server:

I have a bukkit based server up and running with the following plugins so far:

Residence: Allows players to own parts of a world and set rules on it (pvp, who can build, tnt, will mobs spawn, etc)

WormholeXTreme + WormholeXTremeWorlds: Stargates, teleportation and multi world support.

Plus a bunch of admin realted plugins (Permissions, AdminCmd, etc)

Currently i am working on getting some nice maps to use. Thanks to the WormholeXTremeWorlds plugin we can support any number of maps with differnt sets of rules between them.

I had planed to open it up to every one this weekend but there is a minecraft update coming out this week which means the server will have to be upgraded.

In the mean time i would like to know if you guys want a leveling/skills plugin in and if so which one. Also if you want some worlds with support for a creative mode (e.g. where every one has access to somthing like WorldEdit). Also should player inventories carry over between worlds?
Nick

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

skills - yes
creative worlds - don't mind
carry over - no
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 9  [ 130 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: