Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ecoo 2011
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am   Post subject: Ecoo 2011

So my team is heading to the finals, we came 4th at York regionals, so we're confident we can do decently. And if woburn and Don mills don't go we'll for sure win lol. But we want to know what the prizes are/are there any?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

The teams that finish in the top 3 get a monetary prize (I am not too sure what the amounts are though). I helped out as a judge at the Western regionals; it was pretty fun, as I had to run about checking team's output.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Yeah, my team also doesn't have a coach anymore (our compsci teacher can't go), we're trying to scramble to find a replacement lol. Like we have rides there and everything, we just need a teacher. If anyone knows a HWDSB teacher that'd be willing to give up next Saturday please message me.

Also I heard someone mention something about scholarships? I'm assuming it's a rumour, but could it be true?
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

I doubt you need a proper coach. Our team didn't have one at the second round and a parent who knows nothing about comp sci is our coach for provincials. I'm looking forward to it, we were tied second at Western until 3 teams passed us in the last 5 minutes as question 4 screwed us over on setting some arrays and crap. I'm looking forward to having a chance for our small town team to take down one of the powers from Toronto area (Massey, Woburn etc). Right now I'm just hoping we get 3 of the questions at this contest. I think it is possible looking at last year's contest, but will be hard with only 3 hours.
A.J

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Well, technically WCI hasn't had a computer science teacher for the past 2 years. However, it is good to have a coach alongside you to help judge the contest at the regionals/provincials. Schools like Woburn and Massey have a huge CS program (with teachers, and students alike, helping out to enrich extracurricular CS). I guess once some schools, like WCI, get teachers who actually care about extracurricular CS, we'll have a shot at doing well at the Provincials. Having said that, some of the smaller schools, like E.L Crossley, Ressurection, etc..., have done well on their own as well.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Well it's not that we needed an actual coach, it was the issue of teacher supervision, but we worked it out alright now, fortuneatly. And crossley, which regionals were you at? (the one with the queen and knight question as 4?)
A.J

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:13 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Crossley was at our regionals, i.e. the Western regionals (yes, the one where #4 was a DFS/BFS problem).
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:20 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Actually interestingly enough you could ignore the queen and get 80 points on the question. (with both the test case and the actual answers)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
coolgod

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2011

crossley7 @ Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm wrote:
I doubt you need a proper coach. Our team didn't have one at the second round and a parent who knows nothing about comp sci is our coach for provincials. I'm looking forward to it, we were tied second at Western until 3 teams passed us in the last 5 minutes as question 4 screwed us over on setting some arrays and crap. I'm looking forward to having a chance for our small town team to take down one of the powers from Toronto area (Massey, Woburn etc). Right now I'm just hoping we get 3 of the questions at this contest. I think it is possible looking at last year's contest, but will be hard with only 3 hours.

massey is located in windsor.
Small city i'd say.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

It's Don Mills and Woburn that concern me. I mean we came first right after them, and that made me extremely excited, but I don't think any humans can take down Don Mills and Woburn
crossley7

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Massey was at our regional and it was a small accomplishment for us to be ahead of them even if it was only for a few minutes with 3 solutions. They worry me as they got 1st and second from our regional.

We realized after the contest that we should have coded the knights first instead of the queen, but oh well. I tested our logic after the contest and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately we didn't figure this out in the last 40 minutes of the contest that we had to solve it... and we were using a language that I am unfamiliar with to code it at the contest.

Windsor is pretty large in comparison to Pelham that has all of 20000 people
A.J

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:53 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Wait. Massey didn't get first and second. Waterloo Collegiate got 2nd (I would know as I was the teacher accompanying them).
crossley7

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:13 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Sorry, couldn't remember what place they got exactly. I know they had 2 teams beat us though. It will be a good contest this weekend with lots of really strong teams. hopefully we can do better than our school did last year after that last place mess
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

I won't be able to sleep tonight I'm so excited. It's gonna be so awesome lol. Someone take out Don Mills and Woburn, and you will actually be the best programmer to ever exist.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2011

Congrats to everyone was there. I was shocked to see how competitive it was. We only got 17th but have next year to try again. Just wondering, was #1 a dynamic solution??? Our group thought it was dynamic but didn't know how to code it. If anyone is willing to, could they post a solution on here for some of the questions?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: