Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Integer Sorter
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SapphireBlue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm   Post subject: Integer Sorter

Hello.

I am doing an assignment called Sort Method. In this, i have to have IntegerSorter implement Sorter. This class sorts out numbers from less to greatest. So, far I am having a lot of errors. Can someone give me a hand on this? Thanks.

//Margaret
//Computer Science

import java.awt;

public class IntegerSorter implements Sorter{
public static void main(String[] args) {
//First, we will create an array.
arrayList [] = new Array [] {4,2,14,9,5,7,1,10};

//Second, in this part, we will make this program print out the orginal. So, for example: 4,2,14,9,5,7,1,10. The program will output 4,2,14,9,5,7,1,10 in ascending order.
System.out.println ("Original question: \n ");
for (int order = 0; order < array.List; order++)
System.out.println (" " + List[order]);

// Thirdly, we want to sort this out.
Arrays.sort (List);

//print out in ascending order
System.out.println ("Sorted Answer: \n ");
for(int order = 0; order < array.length ; order++)
System.out.print(" " + List[order]);

//long System.currentTime Millis()

public void sort_method1 (int [] list){

}
}
}

Sorter.java
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sorter.java
 Filesize:  804 Bytes
 Downloaded:  354 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

What kind of errors are you encountering?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SapphireBlue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Integer Sorter

Here are the errors I have encountered

6 errors found:
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 4]
Error: Only a type can be imported. java.awt resolves to a package
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 6]
Error: The type IntegerSorter must implement the inherited abstract method Sorter.setList(int[])
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 6]
Error: The type IntegerSorter must implement the inherited abstract method Sorter.sort(int)
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 9]
Error: Syntax error on token "]", VariableDeclaratorId expected after this token
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 26]
Error: Syntax error on token "(", ; expected
File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Margaret's My Documents\Computers\drjava\Matrix\Matrix\IntegerSorter.java [line: 26]
Error: Syntax error on token ")", ; expected
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:03 am   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

The first 3 errors are straight-forward in a way that they are what they say they are. Read the error message and fix what it says.

4th and afterwards has to do with the fact that is not how a variable is created / initialized to an array. That throws the parser off for everything that follows. There is also no "Array" class in Java.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 am   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

Actually, Tony, there are two things in Java named Array, java.lang.reflect.Array, and java.sql.Array . You're still right about his declaration being off.

Errors by number:
1. You're importing "java.awt", you probably meant "java.awt.*".

2. You have said "IntegerSorter implements Sorter", but then failed to implement the "setList ( int[] )" method. You will need to do so.

3. See #2.

4-6. Read the documentation / training on how to declare and instantiate an array of ints in Java, because that line is pretty wrong.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:11 am   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

java.sql.Array appears to be an interface; java.lang.reflect.Array does not have constructors, so one can't have new java.lang.reflect.Array(); but good point, there are things in Java called "Array".
SapphireBlue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

Hello.

I managed to correct some of the errors you had told me. However, as I add more info, I'm getting 5 errors.

Here are the errors:
File: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java [line: 26]
Error: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java:26: illegal start of expression
File: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java [line: 26]
Error: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java:26: illegal start of expression
Error: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java:26: ';' expected
Error: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java:26: ';' expected
File: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java [line: 34]
Error: H:\Computers\Java\dr.java\Work\Integer Sorter\IntegerSorter.java:34: reached end of file while parsing

Also, here is my code so far:

//Margaret
//Computer Science

import java.awt.*;

public class IntegerSorter implements Sorter{
public static void main(String[] args) {
//First, we will create an array.
arrayList [8] = new Array [] {4, 2, 14, 9, 5, 7, 1, 10};

//Second, in this part, we will make this program print out the orginal. So, for example: 4,2,14,9,5,7,1,10. The program will output 4,2,14,9,5,7,1,10 in ascending order.
System.out.println ("Original question: \n ");
for (int order = 0; order < array.List; order++)
System.out.println (" " + List[order]);

// Thirdly, we want to sort this out.
Arrays.sort (List);

//print out in ascending order
System.out.println ("Sorted Answer: \n ");
for(int order = 0; order < array.length ; order++)
System.out.print(" " + List[order]);

//long System.currentTime Millis()

public void sort_method1 (int [] list){
int x;
for (int x = 0; x < array.length; x++){
for (inr y = 0; y < array.length; y++){

}
}
}
}
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

One of the most important skills in Computer Science / programming, that I feel is not emphasized in classes, is the ability to read and understand errors. It takes practice and most of it comes from experience. There are two critical pieces of information here: the line number and what the compiler was expecting to find there.
Quote:

This particular error is tricky, because the line 26 is not even an expression. Because the compiler is expecting to find an expression there, this hints us that maybe there's something missing in the lines just before this point.

Extra hint: proper indentation will be a huge help.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SapphireBlue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Integer Sorter

Hello Tony.

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to see if I could fix it. I also indent however, when I paste the information, it will show me it unindented. How do I approach this problem in your view?

- Margaret
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

using [ code ] tags [/ code ] (sans spaces) will preserve the indentation information.
code:

for(;;){
   System.out.println("infinite loop!");
}
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Integer Sorter

Just for fun. Dancing to sort algorithms.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/150-training-a-education/2255-sorting-algorithms-as-dances.html

Excuse the interruption

Cheers
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: