Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Raknarg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm   Post subject: Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

So here's my first real turing game. Obviously not finished, I'm going to be adding more to it over time. Please, if anyone has any ideas for weapons, enemies, organization (as I don't believe there's any) or just have a comment, feel free.
Also, if anyone finds music that actually fits with this game, that would be great.

Shooting Game.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Shooting Game.zip
 Filesize:  17.66 MB
 Downloaded:  409 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apython1992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Nicely done! This is a great start. One bug (minor) that I noticed...when using the special laser beam, it will destroy all enemies in the path of the laser, even if they are behind the spaceship. The weapons were pretty cool, but a next step would be to allow for weapon upgrades as you progress through the game (also breaking up into levels/boss battles, which would definitely require some extra work).

As far as the music...I thought it was actually pretty awesome. Kinda reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy.
apython1992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Also, a variety of enemies would be nice. You could have a small number of different enemy sprites, the easiest being like in this current version (basically just get in your way), but progression could involve dealing with enemies that shoot you as well.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Yeah, i know, It's just a matter of getting the enemies down first...
My idea right now is to use an array of procedures, and then assign each enemy a procedure. Then i would have something like num := Rand.Int (1, wave)
enemy (num)
But i haven't got to that yet. I just finished the menus and stuff, so I can now go on to the rest Razz
As for the music:
Menus: Tournament Set-Up and Coin Launcher (SSMB)
Game: Checker Knights (Kirby's Air Ride), Meta Knight's Revenge (not working) and Master Hand (also not working). The last one's going to be Sephiroth's Theme for bosses Razz
Raknarg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

So yeah, same music writers, really Smile
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Ideas on what next:
- Varied enemy types with different weapons, movement styles, attack styles, etc
- Bosses!
- Varied ships, each with different speed, agility, defence
- Secondary weapons (seeking rockets, electric zap in close range, slowdown bubble around you, etc)
- Credits system (optional) for distribution of weapons

So far pretty good, keep up the good work.

Also, SHOOP DA WHOOP!
apython1992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Raknarg @ Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 pm wrote:
Yeah, i know, It's just a matter of getting the enemies down first...
My idea right now is to use an array of procedures, and then assign each enemy a procedure. Then i would have something like num := Rand.Int (1, wave)
enemy (num)

Or you could use a class for each enemy, with a common base class Smile.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Hmm... probably, I haven't got to classes quite yet, I'll look into that.
Btw, either of you have other ideas for main weapons? Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apython1992

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 am   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

If you have the time, I would strongly suggest looking into learning about classes Smile Is this for a school project, or something you're doing on your own?

Weapons - for main weapons, I'm sorta thinking you should have a kind of rail gun that kills all enemies in the path of the beam, but takes longer to reload. That might be cool. Also you should think about including more special weapons as well - the laser beam is a good start, but you could also have some that are harder to unlock, but are even more useful (like a nuke that wipes out every enemy on the screen).
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Powerups like nukes would be a cool feature too.

Anyhow another idea for a main weapon is like the Metroid Prime (1) wave gun. An electric blast with slight homing capability (up to a given number of degrees).
Wave beam in action
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

im just doing this for myself. For fun Smile
and ok, thanks for the ideas guys. Imma se what i can do about the enemies first Razz
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Wait... @apython1992, I don't see how classes would be relevant in my case. wouldn't I just use a record and a variable set to that?
apython1992

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

I don't know Turing, so I don't know what a record is, but I'd imagine it's rather like a structure that just holds information together. The nice thing with classes is that they are basically structures that let you encapsulate data and use functions (or more properly, methods) inside them as well. This means that your enemy class could store variables, like enemy.position, and methods, like enemy.shoot_fireball(). And better, if Turing supports inheritance, all of your enemies could inherit from a common enemy class that has the basic methods like enemy.kill(), enemy.move(), and stuff like that. I think they would be great to use.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 am   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Turing's records are quite the clean approach to holding data.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Shhoting Game! Beta V4.0

Oh, thats true. But I have everything I need in my record, I'm basically doing the same thing I did for my ships with the emeny.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: