Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Important Computer Science skills
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:30 pm   Post subject: Important Computer Science skills

I was looking over UW's CS488, Computer Graphics, a 4th's year CS course and one of "big 3" at UW. The outline lists very important skills necessary for one of the most difficult undergraduate CS courses at Waterloo. This list is copied here:
Quote:

1.3 Important Skills
? Reading.
? Read the newsgroup.
? Read the course notes.
? Last but not least, read and follow instructions

That is all.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Sur_real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Important Computer Science skills

wow...they really put the emphasizes on reading huh?
unoho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Important Computer Science skills

i cud be wrong but..i was going through some of the projects they have as portfolio and it seemed really basic..again..i could definitely be wrong
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Important Computer Science skills

unoho @ Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm wrote:
it seemed really basic..again..i could definitely be wrong

Keep in mind that you essentially only get an equivalent of Draw.Dot and build everything else yourself.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Important Computer Science skills

Tony @ 8th February 2011, 9:30 pm wrote:

Quote:

? Last but not least, read and follow instructions

It's admazing how many students fail at the "follow instructions" part.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
unoho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Important Computer Science skills

Tony @ Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm wrote:
unoho @ Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm wrote:
it seemed really basic..again..i could definitely be wrong

Keep in mind that you essentially only get an equivalent of Draw.Dot and build everything else yourself.

oh snapp...i thought they probably get to use tools like 3ds max or maya.. Laughing

nvm then.. i take back what i said before Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Important Computer Science skills

From a guy I know who took that course: http://jzila.com/?p=50
Quote:

After far too much work and way too many all-nighters, I?m finally closing in on my final scene. As you can see, texturing is working quite nicely. Combined with depth of field and soft shadows, the marble chessboard looks quite realistic. I don?t yet have KD-tree optimizations working, so this took 55 minutes to render on an octal core EC2 instance (7h, 21m, 41s of user time).

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Sur_real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Important Computer Science skills

dam that's nice and it's so smooth...
I probably can't even take a photo as good as that with my camera.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: