Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Language choice and your reasoning behind it
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Analysis Mode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

oh I prefer Brain**ck, actaully, but I use C++ because:

1) Tony hasn't added it to DWITE.
2) I know it pretty well (even though I just started last September)
3) STL's, extensive libraries.

i don't like java because of things like (Public Buffered Reader Open Object Class Private) lol. even though tthat made no sense.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I don't like Java either, it's just too bulky of a language for my liking. C++ is my favourite, I have never tried Brainf*ck, that's an awesome name though Very Happy where can I download it?
Analysis Mode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Language choice and your reasoning behind it

IT's also the best language in the world too, you're only allowed to use 8 characters.

http://www.spoj.pl/problems/SORTING/

dunno where, you should google it Razz
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

whoa that's intense! i am definitely looking into this, is it more similar to Turing or C++ in terms of compiling?
chunnn_li

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I use Java personally
First language I learned, and I am most familar with it. Personally I feel sticking to one language rather than learning a myraid of languages is better, although your opinion may vary. I know some C++, although if I had to write a computer contest in it I'd probably fail hard.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

chunnn_li @ Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm wrote:
Personally I feel sticking to one language rather than learning a myraid of languages is better...

That's right, that's exactly why the only tool I have in my toolbox is a hammer. Sure, every carpentry problem is beginning to look like nails, _but_ I'm just so good with it! Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
chunnn_li

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

Tony @ Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 pm wrote:
chunnn_li @ Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm wrote:
Personally I feel sticking to one language rather than learning a myraid of languages is better...

That's right, that's exactly why the only tool I have in my toolbox is a hammer. Sure, every carpentry problem is beginning to look like nails, _but_ I'm just so good with it! Very Happy

lol. Well, maybe I should restate that. Although I do feel sticking to one language is better, I do think there is a point where once you get deep enough into a language, that it's disadvantages at certain problems become obvious. Then, it's time to learn another language or two. The thing i'm trying to avoid is learning a bunch of languages, and not being good at programming because all I know are a bunch of languages, rather than algorithms and proper logic. I think i'll go to maybe python or even Haskall/FORTRAN, since their so much more different.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

FORTRAN is useless (biased opinion here) and Haskell will melt your mind. Lacking a mind already, Haskell is a worthy challenge for me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
yoursecretninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

I regularly use a number of programming/scripting and markup languages for a variety of different reasons.

At work I use (in order of frequency) PHP, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, and XML because as you may have guessed from that list I'm a web developer.

At home I use Objective-C (and a bit of C) as I'm a hobbyist iOS developer and have released a few apps. I've also been moving away from PHP in favour of Ruby for my personal web projects.

At school I use Java and C for course work. I wish I didn't have to use Java at all. Fortunately, the vast majority of my course work this year has been in C.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Language choice and your reasoning behind it

on this brainf**k thing.... It's amazing.... I would've only suggested 2 more commands, not that they are needed, but they would be useful. instuctionptr= *dataptr and *dataptr=instruction ptr.
It means you could create functions by storing the ptr to the start of the function in an array, then bumping the instruction ptr into some data point, then setting the instruction pointer to the function start, then after the function is done, setting it to the value in the data pointer
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: