Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 finding websites...on the web
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Boarder16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:08 am   Post subject: finding websites...on the web

a friend of mine has his own site..i think its not a free one like yahoo or geocities, but when i search on google or anything.. ican't find atrace of it...or any other search engines 4 that matter, is there a search engine out there or site that can fidn sites...he/she hasn't told me or alot of ppl about the site...but its out there...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well that because the site has to be regestered in search engine's database. Search engines have their own crawlers, but you have to submit it manuaty somewhere at first. That open directory project is a good start. atleast 75% of all so called search engines use their database.

Then you basically just wait untill googlebot visits your site.

I hear a good way to get yourself known is to have related sites link to you
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

for google
http://www.google.ca/addurl.html
Boarder16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh no no no... lol its not MY SITE i want ppl to find.. I want to find my friends site...he won't tell me the url lol, i just want to find it....
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if you knew his user name for his host that is probly part of the url. whould be hard to find if he dose not whont it to be. alougth if it has a domain name like compsci.ca then his name whould most likey be in a registry of web sites and you may be able to look it up using a whois sreach on domain names.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Boarder16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well that coudl take along time so i guess i have to do sum top secret..undercover work.... 8) ... i can't tell u anymore lol... jk but i'll just try and accidently hear it in a convo lol
naoki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There prolly also has something to do with the number of hits a website has. Searching for Natalie Portman, for example, will result in thousands of news sites with 1 article on her, but all the fansites are hidden in the background. In fact, several pages on Google feature links to the exact same page, so even referral services beat out fansites.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes, and you would certainly know about that, eh naoki? ha ha, i'm just kidding.... we'll discuss any collection of pictures you may have tomorrow
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
naoki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn right i would. natalie is crazy hot yo. i ice you's if you diss my gurl!

and btw mazer, thanks for that lovely tiny type. i've now officially switched to wearing magnifying glasses because of you
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool, can i have your old ones? maybe they'll make me look smarter! and if i look smarter, maybe i'll actually be smarter... y'know, smart enough to copy and paste my tiny text so that i can read it normally instead of with the use of my glasses (which should only be used for intelligence enhancement ) Wink
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: