Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 C# inheritance problem
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:02 pm   Post subject: C# inheritance problem

If I have a class with a static variable, when another class inherits from it, does it get its own copy of it, or use the parent class' variable. Say for instance i have a parent class of enemies, and classes that inherit from it such as zombie, skeleton etc. I only want one copy of the texture for each class, so I want it to be static in all of them, but I need to define it in the parent class so it can use it in a draw method.

So can they each have their own copy of the parent's static variable or does each instance need it's own pointless copy of the same variable?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TerranceN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:44 pm   Post subject: RE:C# inheritance problem

The child class will access the parent's static variable.

Every instance is going to have to have a copy of that texture variable, but it is only a pointer, so it's not like it is going to effect performance in any noticeable way.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 pm   Post subject: RE:C# inheritance problem

I guess... sad face. Maybe I'll store an array of textures and have them each just keep an eight bit unsigned int of which one they are.

Also when inheriting from a class that has a contructor with arguments, how do I pass arguments from the inherited class to the base class
TerranceN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 pm   Post subject: Re: C# inheritance problem

How is that any better then having each instance have a Texture variable that in the constructor is set to point to the texture you want (It will only point to the texture, not copy it, because in C# all classes are reference types)?

As for the constructor, you can just use : Base() to send values to the parent's constructor. Like this
code:

class A
{
        int num;

public A(int newNum)
        {
                num = newNum;
        }
}

class B : A
{
        int num2;

public B(int newNum, int someOtherNum)
                : base(newNum)
        {
                num2 = someOtherNum;
        }
}
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 pm   Post subject: RE:C# inheritance problem

okay thanks. And It's better because it's slightly less memory. And it'll just me annoying copying them all into the variables

but I got it all worked out, it's all good now. plus the array let's the parent function know about all the textures even if child functions don't exist
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: