Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite 2010-2011
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
antybash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

I understand that the difficulty level in DWITE will have a smoother transition, however would it be at ALL possible if there was more? They may even stay at the same level as the last DWITE for this season. I really liked the format of DWITE last year when there was 7 contests. It gave not only for me, but for everyone in CS club at my school something to look forward to each month!! Also, after CCC and ECOO are said and done, DWITE is just a good way to just 'relax' and and have fun at CS. (Can you tell I really enjoy DWITE?) Very Happy

So maybe if there is interest amongst the regulars of dwite, maybe increase the length of the season?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DtY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Out of curiosity, why do programming competitions (in general, and DWITE specifically) always use files for input and output, wouldn't it be easier (both for programming and automated scoring) to use standard input and output?

e; Also, I did DWITE once in Grade ten (school year before last), would my account still be valid? I tried logging in with the passwords I expected to work, but no success. If my account should still be valid, is there any chance you can tell me if there is an account with the name jeffayle?

e; Found my original sign up email, and got the password, never mind, account's working.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

DtY @ 22nd October 2010, 9:17 pm wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do programming competitions (in general, and DWITE specifically) always use files for input and output, wouldn't it be easier (both for programming and automated scoring) to use standard input and output?

The judge supports this, however Turing does not have a standard output stream that is easily accessable to the judge. So blame holtsoft.

Acuactaly we have to do some prity crazy stuff just to get the judge to run turing programs in general.

antybash wrote:

So maybe if there is interest amongst the regulars of dwite, maybe increase the length of the season?

Last year the number of students taking the contest after round 5 droped signifactinly, which is why we went back to 5 rounds.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
A.J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:40 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

@DtY- Chances are your account no longer exists. I would advise you to create a new one anyways.

@antybash- I get what you are saying, as I was the head of the CS club you mentioned and I certainly felt the same way too, but like Dan said the # of people did drop significantly. I guess if more people want this to happen again as the year goes by, then we might see.
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Well, tomorrow is our first round.

If for any reason during tomorrow's contest you have any questions regarding the phrasing of a question or anything of that sort, feel free to PM me on my compsci.ca account. I'll be going back to my old high school to supervise during the contest, so I should always be beside my laptop.

Good luck
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Bah, I'm in class during the contest. Was hoping to see how my old school's doing this year.
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

all in all, a successful contest I think. Thanks to Dan, Tony and AJ for all the hard work involved with making the problems and running the contest! I think we can post solutions here now...
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Has the site been acting up for anyone else? I submitted a solution to question 5 with about 10 minutes left, and it hadn't been graded by the time the contest ended. Now that the contest is over, I can't even access the site.

Edit: All seems well now.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

The EC2 instance we where using was having some issues which caused it to go down for about 10 mintues at the start of the contest and the end of the contest.

The judge was going a bit slow as we hit a last minute bug that only allowed one judge VM to be run at once.

Your submission should now be marked.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
kkskeshava

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

hey i am in gr.10, and i was in the DWITE Contest just for fun and see how the questions would turn out.
so over the period of 3 days right brfore the contest i started learning the basics of turing, and when the contest started and my frineds and i were on a team.
Contest comes along, we cant meet up so we each go home and work on the problems from there alone
i answered question 1, but my friend stupidally submitted his answer with 0 marks 2ce, so i couldnt see what mine woulda got,
i was wondering if someone could look over mine and tell me my faults, i would gladly appreciate it
btw, i am still in the process of learning turing so bear with me if i make dumb mistakes
Also i wanted to know how can we make it so that the program reads the DATA1.txt files...
and btw i do not take any com sci class as you can prob see from my work.
I dont understand the part about DATA1.txt and the OUT1.txt part, if someone could explain it to me it would be great!

The question was :
DWITE has traditionally been a high school level contest, so to ensure that no middle schoolers try to sneak in and make older students feel uncomfortable, an age gate is being considered.

The input file DATA1.txt will contain 5 lines, each having 3 integers representing a person's birth date, in a form of DD MM YYYY (separated by spaces).

The output file OUT1.txt will contain 5 lines of output, decisions if the participant is at least 13 years old as of today (27 10 2010) or not. Print old enough or too young depending on the age.

My answer was:

var yyyy, mm, dd : int
put"What is your date of birth, in the form of DD MM YYYY "..
get dd, mm, yyyy
if
mm > 12 % in case someone tries to crash it by entering a bogus number higher than 12 (dec) it will reject it
then put " ERROR you put an invalid month of birth"
elsif
yyyy < 1997 % if year is less than 1997 then obviouly they are old enough.
then put "you are old enough"
elsif
yyyy > 1997 % if the year is more than 1997, it means they are not old enough
then put "you are too young"
elsif
yyyy = 1997 and mm < 10 % if their date of birth is before oct. 1997 they are too young
elsif
yyyy = 1997 and mm > 10 % if their date of birth is after oct. 1997 they are old enough
then put "you are old enough"
elsif
dd > 31 % in case someone tries to crash it by entering a bogus number higher than 31 (31 days in a month) it will reject it
then put "ERROR you put an invalid day of birth"
elsif
yyyy = 1997 and mm = 10 and dd < 27 % if their birth date is before the 27 of oct. 1997 they are too young
else
put "you are old enough" % if it does not match up with any of the others, it means their birthday is in oct 27,28,29,30,31,
% november or dec. of 1997
end if

thx in advance and BTW gratz to A.J and Dan and Tony for making it a success
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

kkskeshava, we can't really debug your program for you (especially during the actual contest....). Also, if there are enough people wanting solutions to DWITE questions after each contest, I'll probably start making threads detailing the solutions for each question after each contest.

I was under the impression that this contest might have been a bit on the easier side. Seeing as quite a few teams got >= 4 questions right, this might be true. What do you guys think?
bbqchps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I was wondering if I could see my second submission for problem 5 on this Dwite.

I thought that I had it correct when I submitted the second time. And just now when I checked my program, it worked for the test cases, so I just want to know what happened.
Thanks.
Helldemon80

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed 27 Oct, 2010 6:10 pm wrote:
kkskeshava, we can't really debug your program for you (especially during the actual contest....). Also, if there are enough people wanting solutions to DWITE questions after each contest, I'll probably start making threads detailing the solutions for each question after each contest.

I was under the impression that this contest might have been a bit on the easier side. Seeing as quite a few teams got >= 4 questions right, this might be true. What do you guys think?

Well...we got 2 full questions right (1 and 2...lol)...i was confused by #4 though, what is a configuration?
kkskeshava

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:32 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed 27 Oct, 2010 18:10 wrote:

well, thanks anyways, actually i submitted this like a hour after the contest was closed, (i think) and i asked this because i am new, and would like to know did we need to add anything to it? lik for java you need a bufferreader or something.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

A.J @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm wrote:
I'll probably start making threads detailing the solutions for each question after each contest.
Yes please...

A.J @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm wrote:

It was my first time doing DWITE, my school and I both epically failed. Mr. Green
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: