Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite 2010-2011
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:26 am   Post subject: Dwite 2010-2011

The DWITE contest is starting up again for the school year with our
first round taking place on the 27th of October. A full schedule of
upcoming contest dates for the school year can be found on the
dwite.org webpage.

Team leaders may create new teams, add/remove members or sign teams up
for upcoming contests via the TeamCP (http://dwite.org/teamcp).

Feel free to contact me for help with or questions regarding
the registration process.

Have a great school year!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Also, I would like to add that the season is now back to the regular 5 rounds. I believe that this way the transition of the difficulty of the problems will be neither too gradual nor too steep.
jafar25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

ALRIGHT!! IM PRACTICING ALL MONTH FOR THIS Exclamation Very Happy last year, i didnt get involved in dwite, so im pretty new to its questions if they're different. hopefully, our team doesnt lose to grade 10s like we did last year at the ECOO Shocked
A.J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:58 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

I am glad to hear it. I would say that the best way to practice for this is to take a look at past contests. The questions tend to increase in difficulty as the rounds go by, possibly more so this year.
Helldemon80

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

jafar25 @ Sun 03 Oct, 2010 11:21 pm wrote:
ALRIGHT!! IM PRACTICING ALL MONTH FOR THIS Exclamation Very Happy last year, i didnt get involved in dwite, so im pretty new to its questions if they're different. hopefully, our team doesnt lose to grade 10s like we did last year at the ECOO Shocked

Aha Yeah let's hope that doesn't happen again Jafar -_-
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

I can't wait for this year's contest to start. Last year was my first year, I failed miserably in the first few I entered, and didn't compete until round 4 or so, but by the end I was doing relatively decent, so I'm hoping that upwards trend continues!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for working through those graph theory problems though. A lot of the time I know the algorithm I need to use to solve it, but I'm just not sure of the best way to implement it in the time given, although I've had some success with adjacency matrices. If anyone could point me towards a good reference on problems like that, I'd owe you one Very Happy
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:59 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Well, a good book to get you started would be "Programming Challenges by Skiena and Revilla". I found a link that contains this book inline actually:
http://www.negrellischool.it/joomla/images/documenti/materiale/informatica/programmingchallenges.pdf

Also, you could take a look at the "Algorithmist", which is an online encyclopedia for algorithms: http://www.algorithmist.com/index.php/Main_Page
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Thank you! I've only briefly glanced at that book so far, but it seems like just the thing I was looking for. The Algorithmist also looks like a great reference, and I've bookmarked that as well.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
saltpro15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:15 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

any chance of prizes this year Dan? I'll be on team Awesome Swatcats again, good luck everybody!
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:38 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Well, there weren't prizes last year, but seeing as we've reduced the number of rounds to 5, I am not sure...I guess Dan will be able to answer that question with more certainty.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Unfortunately I won't be able to participate this year, because I'm no longer in high school (though if I did I'd still get schooled by the brilliant kids from Woburn and the other high-ranked schools).

Perhaps I can help Dan run it this year. How about it Dan?
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

Well, my dorm consists of one person from every one of such schools (well, everyone with the exception of me, as my school wasn't that great at CS): Aurick (Vincent Massey), John (Don Mills), Brian (Woburn).

I guess these are the schools that make me want to compete in such contests.
SS1389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2010-2011

Hey guys,

Do you know how to sign for round 1 of the DWITE contest? I already have a team.

Thanks! Very Happy
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

"High school team leaders may now sign their teams up for contests via the TeamCP."

I believe you can register your team for a contest via the TeamCP link, at "Sign up for a contest".
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2010-2011

First year trying out for DWITE....
try not to laugh at our attempts....
jafar25, get ready for Grade 10 domination Mr. Green
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: