Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hardware Failure
Index -> Network News
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm   Post subject: Hardware Failure

This morning our main server, Eclair, had a rather large hardware failure causing the site to go down with most of the services we run.

We have since switched on the fail over, running the fourms from Lumiere. Unfortuntely Lumiere was not quite ready for this so things might get rather buggy and other services like the blog and wiki will still be down.

There support people in the data center are working on getting Eclair back online and we hope to be up and running soon.

Update: Everything should be coming back up now. Depending on your DNS it could take a litte bit for the domain name records to update before you can use the blog and some other services.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

It seems one bug is that uploading and download files is a bit messed up right now.

The downloaded files might contain jibish or html.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Firestorrmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:39 pm   Post subject: Hardware Failure

you were right, Josh . . . this is one of the most helpful stickies yet.

visit your manufacturers website if you have problems with your hardware beyond our expertise.

great job, bro
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

^ confused?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

A bot, apparently from Russia. I'm guessing the way it works is that it grabs posts from other users in other forums that match some keywords, to build up a post-count. It would then throw up a spam link into account's signature, and likely go unnoticed, as those would be old posts.

Of course the only signatures that show up in the logged-out mode are Dan's and mine Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Hardware Failure

Tony @ Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm wrote:
Of course the only signatures that show up in the logged-out mode are Dan's and mine Laughing

Is that a default setting in the ACP?
And does reCAPTCHA help against spambots as opposed to the normal phpBB CAPTCHA?

I know this is a late post...
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Hardware Failure

ProgrammingFun @ Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 pm wrote:

Is that a default setting in the ACP?

I don't believe so. Dan has been making a lot of custom implementations.
ProgrammingFun @ Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 pm wrote:

And does reCAPTCHA help against spambots as opposed to the normal phpBB CAPTCHA?

Quick lesson in how CAPTCHA works -- it never _stops_ spam for being spam, it merely adds a _cost_ to it. If a CAPTCHA is easily solved by a computer, that cost goes down back to near $0. If it requires a human to solve it, then the cost (if I remember correctly) is around $0.001 per CAPTCHA. Depending on how the economics work, the spam either turns a profit and continues, or it doesn't... in which case someone tries to figure out how to reduce costs.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

I meant to ask if reCAPTCHA is harder to solve (for bots) than the normal CAPTCHA.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

likely. mARBLECAKE, ALSO THE GAME
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:35 am   Post subject: RE:Hardware Failure

bahaha, /b/ makes me laugh sometimes. But not often.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Hardware Failure

Tony @ Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:37 pm wrote:
PRO... BooHoo
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: