Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Geometry Wars Clone
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neu

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry Wars Clone

Cool, like the grid effects, any update on this?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TerranceN

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry Wars Clone

Sorry for being slow at updating, school has got me doing so many things I'm uninterested in every day, it's hard to get motived afterwards. Either that or I just needed a break from this project.

Update:

- Game now scales depending on the set resolution, so it is now playable in its default 800x600 configuration
- Added sounds, no background music yet, but once you listen to my crappy sound effects you'll realize that may not be a bad thing
- Split up the graphics and audio portions of the settings

If anyone wants to make any sound effects or music, I will gladly make credits and include you in them. Also you can just replace the .wav files to change the sounds if you don't like them.

Any comments, suggestions, and the like are appreciated.

GeometryWarsCloneSource.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GeometryWarsCloneSource.zip
 Filesize:  223.77 KB
 Downloaded:  265 Time(s)

GeometryWarsCloneBin.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GeometryWarsCloneBin.zip
 Filesize:  393.08 KB
 Downloaded:  248 Time(s)

Tony

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry Wars Clone

TerranceN @ Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm wrote:
If anyone wants to make any ... music

http://dig.ccmixter.org/music_for_games under various Creative Commons licenses, typically "Attribution, Non-commercial", but check the details.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
TerranceN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry Wars Clone

Update:

-Added 3 new enemies:
- Purple square, breaks into 4 purple triangles when killed
- Purple triangle, drifts until it hits the wall; gets in your way
- Green squares, dodge your bullets

-Changed how long it takes to get bullet upgrades; <enemies_you_need_to_kill> = pow(2, <current_bullets_per_shot> - 1) * 25

-Added new 'type' of particle that doesn't affect grid so I can make more particles for explosions

-The enemy that killed you is showed while you wait to spawn

GeometryWarsCloneSource.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GeometryWarsCloneSource.zip
 Filesize:  224.27 KB
 Downloaded:  465 Time(s)

GeometryWarsCloneBin.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GeometryWarsCloneBin.zip
 Filesize:  403.95 KB
 Downloaded:  434 Time(s)

BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Geometry Wars Clone

Awesome game that just keeps getting better and better.

Still can't figure out how to compile the source for custom edit Smile

Would be nice to have a pause button, when you press ESC it ends your game.

Also, I'm not sure if it is the number of enemies or the triangle particles that explode on the edges but this new version seems to lag for me.
TerranceN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Geometry Wars Clone

BigBear @ Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:07 pm wrote:
Awesome game that just keeps getting better and better.

Still can't figure out how to compile the source for custom edit Smile

Would be nice to have a pause button, when you press ESC it ends your game.

Also, I'm not sure if it is the number of enemies or the triangle particles that explode on the edges but this new version seems to lag for me.

Thanks.

I used msvc 2010 Beta2, and I had to add some custom project options (to include the proper libraries, make it point at the right directories, etc). I know this doesn't compile in Dev-C++, some problem about iterators. If you could post the error message I might be able to tell you whats wrong.

There is a pause button, P.

Well then I guess I will need to add some more graphics settings, so you can turn down some grid effects and number of particles per explosion. Was the lag constant, or did it kind of pause for a second then continue fine? If so then I know whats wrong.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Geometry Wars Clone

Well it definitely spikes, does it have anything to do with more bullets seems to lag when i get 4 and then get 5 except it lasts for a bit and then runs better then spikes again.

Here is a Pic of trying to run it in dev C++. I opened main.cpp and tried to run it.
TerranceN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Geometry Wars Clone

The only thing I can think of is now that I have lots of sparks it may be trying to remove too many at a time (it removes all dead ones regardless of how many there are). I will try to replicate this problem on my laptop.

The ones at the bottom are the cryptic iterator error I mentioned earlier, and the openAL ones are because you did not configure it to use the openAL headers and libraries. All the rest I see are warnings.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Quakerstate98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 am   Post subject: Re: Geometry Wars Clone

just posting to say, very good work! I look forward to the days that I can make programs as good as this Smile
TerranceN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 am   Post subject: RE:Geometry Wars Clone

Thanks for the encouraging comment, but just a heads up, I wouldn't use this an example to learn from. This was when I didn't fully understand how C++ manages memory, and therefore is a giant memory leak (don't worry, it leaks slow enough I didn't notice it when testing it, so it should not cause problems unless left open and played over a long period of time, and as long as your OS is fairly recent, it should free this memory when the program closes). Also I used win32 which I never want to use again, I will just use SDL.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: