Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Cheating teams
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jli1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:43 pm   Post subject: Cheating teams

If you guys look at DWITE 7, the team Wonderbread hard coded all the answers. I'm not sure if this indicates they were the people who DDoS'd, but it seems weird. Also, AJ seems to have gotten all of the solutions pretty much instantly......

Whats with people hacking and cheating DWITE.. Its just a practise educational contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

AJ is a genius, he did it all legitimately. Trust me on that. Wonderbread is looking fishy though...
jli1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

Yeah, sounds about right.
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

How on earth did Wonderbread hardcode the values? Unless they have someone on the inside, I can't come up with any other way on how they could have done that (unless they had the program return the values somehow to their server...somehow).

As the dwite.org website was down till about 3:35 or so, our teacher (who got emailed the questions) showed us the questions when the contest was supposed to begin (as he received an email from Dan saying that he is to show the problem statements to us, the students, at 3:15 PM. Our teacher, in fact, waited for a while before actually showing it to us, as the website was down. Then he later showed it to us as he figured it was another attack on the website).

Hmm, but I am kind of curious to how Wonderbread became aware of the actual testdata.

@Insectoid- Thanks, I am flattered Very Happy
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

One team did this before by having their code e-mail the test cases, which they then worked out manually and subsequently re-submitted the hardcoded answers (at least that's how I've interpreted what I've been told, details get lost in time). Still, that requires a second submission while Wonderbread got it all first try.
jcollins1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:24 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Cheating teams

Insectoid @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm wrote:
One team did this before by having their code e-mail the test cases, which they then worked out manually and subsequently re-submitted the hardcoded answers (at least that's how I've interpreted what I've been told, details get lost in time). Still, that requires a second submission while Wonderbread got it all first try.

Have two teams ? One to get test data and another to submit ...
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Cheating teams

jcollins1991 @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:24 pm wrote:
Insectoid @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm wrote:

Have two teams ? One to get test data and another to submit ...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

However none of the other teams from the same school as Wonderbread even submitted a program for this round...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

Pretty pathetic that people would cheat in this contest, even more pathetic that someone attacks the website...
TheGuardian001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Cheating teams

It's possible they wrote a program to find the results, then submitted a program that would simply output the hardcoded results to save on processing time.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

I am pretty sure i know how they did it and it is no where near advanced as you guys are giving them credit for.

They will be dealt with. However i first need to investigate more and contact there teacher.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
jli1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:13 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Cheating teams

A.J @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 pm wrote:
However none of the other teams from the same school as Wonderbread even submitted a program for this round...

When you sign up, you can choose any school, so they could have just used some random one.
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

Hmm...I am curious to know how they managed it. Well, I guess it doesn't matter as long as Dan can find a way around it.
Unnamed.t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Cheating teams

AJ, I agree with Insectoid, you are a genius Smile But what me and my team assumed was that you submitted the problems instantly because you already had them programmed. The problems in this DWITE were the same as the ones in the previous DWITE round 7. And I recall you talking about them in another thread. I still think that you are fully capable of doing all the problems that fast (except prob 4 THAT WAS HARD).

I have another question as well, how come I can't use a link to download your code? and what language do you program in?
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Cheating teams

Well, you are right in assuming that I did see the problems before, as I did see a few them before hand (mainly because my teacher showed them to us before the site came back on). Even though I was able to code #1/#2/#3/#5 fairly quickly, #4 was the annoying one. I used Turing for #4, but I confess that I did predict that a bedmas question would be on and that probably gave me an advantage (as I have coded such calculators in the past, and as I had lost my USB a few days prior to DWITE, I was busy re-coding some programs I had lost, like an 8 puzzle solver, a connect 4 AI and a bedmas calculator...talk about good luck sprouting out of bad luck). Though I thank you for your compliment, Unnamed.t Very Happy

EDIT: Also, I have noticed that team 'Wonderbread' has now been stripped of their points from the last round.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: