Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The most amazing particle engine EVER made! (FINAL VERSION!)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:57 pm   Post subject: The most amazing particle engine EVER made! (FINAL VERSION!)

... ok. So maybe it's not THAT astonishing. And it has been done a million times over. But I just had to make one (to see if I could).

Can you say Font.Draw (".", x, y, font, white)?

If you can, you just discovered about %20 of the code for this little app. Laughing

It's not the prettiest thing ever. It doesn't Pic.Load and cool stars or anything. It has no support for gravity... or wind.. or... well... pretty much anything. Just my little invented algorithm to make it seem like it has gravity support (if you consider gravity pulling you sideways).

No... You cannot change the direction of where the particles fall, it has no "FPS" teller on the side, It has no exit sequence (click the little "x" at the to right corner to exit), No multi-colors (although I could... hmm... maybe at a later date).

Keep in mind I wrote this thing in about 5 to 15 mins. And if It's worth it (meaning I can make it better than it already is without too much of a hassle [ie; re-writing the whole program to fix some minor bugs]), I'll expand on it. Maybe make it drawdot's instead of Draw.Fonts and multicolours... maybe gravity will pull the dots down and not sideways, have more than nine dots drawing on the screen consecutavely... whatever makes it better!

And I'm not posting the source-code because I don't want you all to see how much of a sloppy programmer I am. Wink

EDIT: Holly crap! I have 12 bits! Where the hell did I get those from!?

I DIGRESS! Here it is:
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you should make it go multi directions
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... I'm actually working on that as I reply to this. See I starting making it this morning (the things I do on a PA day! Rolling Eyes ).

I've actually got the multi-color thing going on and I'm trying to get the particles (Font.Draw dot's [still]) to follow the mouse around (I've been at it for almost an hour now... If I don't get it to work soon then screw it).

Ohh... I'm up to 14 particles now! Laughing

I'll upload an updated copy once I get some bugs worked out. Shocked
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Guess what! 20 Particles... think I can go up to 100 before 3:30? Laughing

But their all lime green now though... when I randomized the colours it keeps displaying to many black's so you can't see them that well.

Next time I post it will be spraying the particles down! And will have wind effect! (No... that's not just a clever way of saying "Damn dots'll keep going right for all I care", It'll look better. Wink )

Here's the current version... Smile (0.1.3) <~ Amount of times I've made major tweaks... yep... 13). Shocked
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ERR... I have 60 Particles going at massive speeds on the PC. I think this where I'll stop. Download the Final Version and please tell me what you think. If you can find enough wrong with it I'll Make another one With all those effect.

I'm planning on making a 3D version. Maybe I will... Hey! I have to have something to occupy myself with tomorrow Laughing !

Here's the final version (or maybe not):
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not bad at all, may be you could add some bouncing phzics and have them hit somting, that all ways looks cool.

also why not make them falow the rules of gravity, lol

EDIT: wow you post fast i see you got the gravity now
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hehehe... It's 5 pm and I'm still at it. This time with a mod for the engine. 8) 8) 8)

SNOW! Laughing

Download it... It looks cool. It's basically just a big white drawfillbox and some extra font and the egine was modded just a wee bit. You'll see what I mean. Wink

I couldhave probably put a snowman in there... Hmm... check back in like... an hou... Laughing Laughing Laughing
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ahh! I just realized I posted the source code... It's been like that for like 10 minutes... Shocked

Binary now baby... 8)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

welcome to the exciting world of particles

if ur interested in particle engines look here
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=750
and here
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=764
templest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn dude... I'm not even goinhg to try to make something like that. Mine's mediocre compared to that. Shocked

I just made this one to see if I could make one... Even if was only something really simple. I just finished ICS 3M... still gota develop my skill b4 I can do that. Pitty though... ICS 4 was cancelled at my school for next semester because only 5 people signed up. I'll see if I can take it next year... I Digress!

Next project... 3D Engine !

Let's see if I can do one of those... Smile
Catalyst

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good luck
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah for particles i had posted an open source one long time ago http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=1569&start=0

and for the 3d engine samples u can either use catalyst's or my open-source 3d engine to help u...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: