Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A game by Nis
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:22 pm   Post subject: A game by Nis

Any ways i have been working on this game for a few days now and have finally decided to post it up on compsci.
All art work was done by radiohead. Thanks Man! all the pics are incredible.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Battle Tactics.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Battle Tactics.zip
 Filesize:  1.31 MB
 Downloaded:  1551 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool, though it still has things to work on. For one, weapons move at a constant speed... Confused I dont understand how gravity fits in here. I mean acceleration is change in velocity 8)

Also apparently there's some bug.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
this happened when I got tired of aiming at the other tank and tried to blow myself up (0 velocity)... apparently my suicide didn't work out Confused

tank_game_bug.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.72 KB
 Viewed:  10463 Time(s)

tank_game_bug.JPG

Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
poly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey thats pretty cool, but i got me a question. shouldnt the weapons go in sort of an arch?
nis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I am not sure what you mean but the bullet does arch. It speeds up as it falls and slows down as it rises.

If you set gravity to jupitors gravity (-24.5m/sec^2) then you'ls notice it falls faster then with earth's gravity (-24.5m/sec^2) and if you use the moons gravity(-1.63m/sec^2) it falls much slower than earth's gravity. So the weapons don't move at a constant speed
nis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh ya as for the error. i know why it errors but i can't think of away to fix it. I increase time at an interval of 0.17 sec and use whatdotcolor to find collosions so if in that time the bullet does not move more than 2 pixels it errors. To erase the bullet i draw a fill oval 2 pixels big in white so if it moves less then 2 pixels per interval the pixel color of the bullet coordinate is white. I am not sure if that made any sense. But if it did thats my reason. If you used a velocity of 10 it would not error.
poly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

oh okay nevermind about my above post. I didnt really notice it with Earth gravity as I notice it with Jupitor....
Radiohead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:07 am   Post subject: amazing

nis.. amazing game man, but ... one question.. how come my part in the credits has no music like urs..

any way.. great game..
good job
Nuty Eyes
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm guessing u got the idea from worms... but anyway good job... and the guided missile isn't really guided?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
nis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

radiohead your part was supposed to have music i just for got to loop the music so when it ended it never restarted, sorry.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The way to get around the whatdotcolour error is to do a pixel-by-pixel (or at least a good guess) check between the two points.
1. Use your distance formula to figure out about how many pixels you have to check.
2. find dx & dy (as real of course), then divide by number of pixels.
3. Run a loop and track the path of your shot.

Game's looking good. I would suggest that you use max,max in your setscreen to increase the viewable area (I know that means a lot of extra work, but it's so much better)
- Is the inspiration is the old Scorched Earth?
nis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That is exactly the game i was going for. Scorched was the greatest game. At least i did a good enough job for some one to reconize that
Chimaera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey nis, why don't you slowly change the pictures of the tanks to Gundbound style tanks? That'd be awesome...and you almost have the full structure of gunbound in place, just put more variety of tanks, movement of the tanks between turns, and a little satellite floating around that occasionally shoots lasers/bombs/large weapons of mass construction along with the regular attack. And also provide 2 meters at the bottom for the angle of the barrel, and a bar that you can set a guage for that gauges how long the user preses the space bar for to shoot which sets the velocity.

That'd be sick...and once you get it working, then you can get net play going and then we'd have a Gunbound of turing to play in class XD
roer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow, nice Scorched emulation Very Happy I loved the game as a kid, good job there
nis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks
white_dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: can't create picture

huh?!?! i can't create a picture? won't even load? i don't get it
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: