Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I'm going to university and need a computer. Help!
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
x30Jx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

What are our thoughts on Apple computers in the CompSci program? Specifically the MBP13"?

Is Waterloo fairly mac-friendly?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:15 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Yes. I use a MacBook Air to deliver lectures, as do a number of other professors. I see an increasing number of Macs among students. The first year computer labs have iMacs in them. I would recommend the MacBook Pro 13". I bought one for my own daughter when she went off to university.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

The university is pretty friendly to any kind of hardware or operating system you want to run. The only catch I've seen so far is that if you want to run Windows, you'll need to install some special software to validate your security situation before being allowed to use the university's networks.

You'll be fine with a Mac, but if you're not attached to the OS you should probably explore other options. Nearly any other vendor will provide cheaper options with better components, the down-side being lower build quality.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:10 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

I have a Mac now and I swear by it. I will not return to using Windows on anything other than my 'gaming desktop.'

Also, the refurb store is your friend. I saved ~$800 pretaxes, what did you save?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:14 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Me? I probably saved about that much if not more, plus about 6 months of waiting for the hardware I bought to become available in Macs (granted, here I'm comparing desktops, not laptops as the thread suggests).
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:23 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

I wasn't referring to your purchase, but whatever. I was referring to other people who buy macs that don't know that the only difference between the refurb store and a new product is the box it's shipped in.
Kharybdis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:35 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Mac All the way baby. It's better in all aspects than windows, especially in university.

Except gaming, of course.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:59 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

To address the original question of using OSX for CS at UWaterloo -- all of your programming assignments are submitted though an undergrad environment (Solaris or Linux). Running an OS with a good terminal (so anything *nix based) will make things much easier for you.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Vouch. Visor ftw Smile
x30Jx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:29 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Wow. Thanks for so many reponses on this thread. That was quite fast.

Prabhakar Ragde; Are you a teacher at UW? In CompSci? And why do you recommend the MBP when you have the MBA? Just curious.

DemonWasp; I seriously just do need something that works, and I am tired of Windows. I think I feel a Microsoft Rebellion coming on unless some changes are made.

Euphoracle; $800??! On what machine? That sounds like a huge amount of money, esp. for a university student!

Kharybdis; I own a 360 and a Wii, unconcerned.

Tony; So Windows is actually bad for compatibility? Wow, that's good to hear Very Happy

Euphoracle Redux; uh, what? "Vouch. Visor ftw" ?
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

On the top-of-the-line mbp = $800 savings buying from refurb store. It is in perfect condition, no complaints at all, the only difference is it came in an unmarked box rather than a shiny new mac box Smile

Visor is a quakes-style drop down terminal that you can hotkey which is so sweet you can't even fathom it. Smile

http://visor.binaryage.com/
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:50 am   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

I didn't spend my own money on the Air. By my assessment of quality-price ratio, the MBP 13" comes out on top. The Air is a lovely machine, but a lot more expensive. I don't use CPU-intensive or graphics-intensive tasks, but if you're inclined to, you might find the Air frustrating (or find its paucity of ports frustrating). On the cheaper side, not only does build quality fall off but you'll pay in time spent fiddling with the system. For me, time is a precious commodity, and that's true for most university students (even if they do squander it at an alarming rate).
ecookman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 pm   Post subject: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

i personally like my Dell Studio 17.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

ecookman @ Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 pm wrote:

You are not even at University yet. Your opinion is moot.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ecookman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I\'m going to university and need a computer. Help!

Tony @ Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm wrote:
ecookman @ Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 pm wrote:

You are not even at University yet. Your opinion is moot.

how so, he is looking for a computer. Just because I am not in university, doesn't mean it is moot. Heck I will be taking my studio 17 to college or university with me.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: