Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Contest?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Should CompSci.ca have a Big Contest Like the CCC?
(No ending time set)
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 25 ]
Only if there are good prizes
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No option
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 39

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:26 pm   Post subject: CompSci.ca Contest?

Should CompSci.ca have a Big Contest Like the CCC?

Well we may not have great prizes but if you think about it most of the other ones dont have big prizes ether.

Whould any one be intrested in somting like this? What kind of prizes whould you think whould be exceptable? (Note: we are very poor Razz)

Should we invaule schools in this contest? Should it be for teams, inviduals or both (two difrent catogorys)?

Should there be difrent levels?

What progaming langues should be alowed? All of them?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

we definitely should have a contest. You can have it like the CCC style, mixed in with some of the DWITE approach, and have it in different divisions, so people who are more proficient with problem solving go at a higher level, and if they want to stay at a lower level, that's ok too.

but then again, people have to make up contest questions, so there needs to be like a comittee of people dedicated to making up questions.

also, we need to have restrictions setup, like how long will the contest be, who will administer it. Maybe we could do what they did on the DWITE? like open up a time slot, and you post up the question at that time, then let's say 2 hours afterward, you take down all questions and don't accept any entries. In that 2 hours, each person could only send in one program for each question, once you sent it, it's done, you can't send another program for that question anymore. This way, it would stop the jamming that DWITE contest had problems with.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

another thing, having a contest will attract more people to this forum. Especially people with good problem solving skills.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I'm definatly for organizing our own contest. Heck, I'll even take on the leadership role. 8)

I do agree that it should be CCC style with DWITE approach. We'll invite schools, but judging should be done online by an automated script.

Though ofcourse I'd like to heard from the rest of the community on the subject.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

CCC = WHAT?!
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

CCC = Canadian Computing Competition (or was it Contest?)

personally, I dont care about prizes, but anyways, for prizes, well I'm sure once we get this going, compsci.ca will receive recognition and whatnot, and if you say you won like 1st place off of compsci.ca, then the reputation could be prizes. We could also give off certificates, pretty looking ones that is.

otherwise, think of it as a practice for CCC, and once you take CCC, then you can get that piece of paper they call a certificate then.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah... we could sent out certificates. 8)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

becareful though, if you accept executables you might get a virus or simply something that would simply erase your harddrive
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, sortta like dwite? o and can we have fun questions, unlike the ccc ones?
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well then, just send them the source if it's too much of an hassle to accept an executable. Remember, if you can only send in one piece of solution, and the thing doesn't have to marked on the spot, and provide that tony find a cheap ass computer in which he can run these code at, just in case someone disguises a virus in there, then we can always work things out.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well dan has something like 7 computers in his room (i'm serious) so we'll most likely use couple of those for contest purposes.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
well dan has something like 7 computers in his room (i'm serious) so we'll most likely use couple of those for contest purposes.

that whould be 7 and one laptop with the screen falling off, still holding on with some duck tap tho.

i dont think we need marking on the sopt. probly more fair to mark the code anyway, then we whould at least know for 100% there is no hard coding or shit going on in there. also that way we could mark on things like good or bad progaming style Twisted Evil
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*smacks dan across his face for stupidity*
Laughing no dan, dont even think that.

it would be impossible to hardcode answers to all datasets (just like in CCC - remember? 5 sets of data per question).

Marking would depend on the style of the contest. Our beta contest will most likely not be marked on the spot, seeing as we're just getting into the whole thing, but if there will be enough participants... well I donno... we might install some kind of feedback system
recneps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the prizes could be 1000's of bits! Very Happy
valor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol , maybe you guys can offer things as prizes that you already have. like one prize could be a free @compsci.ca email instead of having to get it for bits. just an idea Wink
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: