Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what school did u learn turing in?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
alastor_god

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:50 pm   Post subject: what school did u learn turing in?

i go to st.basil in toronto and we use turing here.
im in grade ten and i just started the course about a month ago.
at the beggining it was damn boring cuz we did flow charts but now were getting into turing and i think it kinda sucks cuz all we do now is use the put statements
i guess it will get better one we start using variables
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I go to Metro Prep.

Turing pretty much sucks in general, but it's decent as a beginner language.
Ancalagon The Black

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

St. Mary's in Woodstock. Turing is the first language that I've learned. It was introduced to me last year in grade nine in the Tech Orientation course. That course covers intros for all the tech courses so I only really got a taste last year Razz. Anyways now im learning more about it in the full programming course. Usually lots of "put" statements are in any basic Turing program unless it's all pics. Oh, wait all Turing programs are basic Confused .
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I go to Arthur Voaden in St. Thomas. i'm also in grade 10 and i started about a month ago.. i've learned much more than my class. right now we're doing read/writing from files... boring... most of the stuff i learned was from this board, just reading the posts.. lol, yea tony's been a great help... i think he's taught me more than my teacher Rolling Eyes
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where did i laren turing....well i did not luaren it from school i though my self but it was inturduced to me in grade 10. (school dose not tech turing well). my school right now is Bimelseville distirck secondarey school or BDSS. i am moving tho soon, so i do not know where i will be in a few moths.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
alastor_god

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh yea just came back from school
and today i learned fields
oh yea i feel special
lol
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I learnt of turing from my school, but I learned most of it on my own. I started out programming on my own before I ever took a class at school for it.
My school's BDSS (Beamsville District Secondary School, same as dan's)

Oh by the way, I think it would be a good idea, if instead of location in our profile, it was changed to school, cause most of us (if not all) are still in school.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well you can if you want Wink

I learned turing in Metro Prep (same as Asok) though I changed schools and go to Crestwood Prep Collage now. Kinda funny cuz in my new school, they dont even teach turing at all. Though compsci 11 is Visual Basic Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I go to LDSS (Leamington District Secondary School). I first started programming in Turing before I got to grade ten to learn it but by that time my computer science teacher told me going into the grade ten course would be completely useless and I got put into the grade 11 course which was almost too easy most of the time. I'm taking the grade Twelve course now but I'm still in grade 11.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, me too... belive it or not, grade 10 turing was the first time I started programming Shocked I took compsci during 2nd semester of grade 10, so now I'm in grade 12 C++ but I'm still in grade 11... Next year I'm taking compsci AP (advanced C++ or something) 8)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
well you can if you want Wink

I learned turing in Metro Prep (same as Asok) though I changed schools and go to Crestwood Prep Collage now. Kinda funny cuz in my new school, they dont even teach turing at all. Though compsci 11 is Visual Basic Very Happy

lol Tony, at Metro we don't even do VB it's Turing in Grade 10 and 11 then Java in 12. There are far too many stupid students, "Introductory programming" should be in grade 9 NOT grade 10, that way there is Turing in grade 9, VB/Turing in grade 10, Java in Grade 11, C++ in Grade 12. That system defintely makes more sence, imagine trying to apply into a decent tech university with only a year a java under your belt, it's fucking stupid and the comp sci curriculum needs to be reworked at Metro. I'm off on a rant again, so I'll shut up now Rolling Eyes
Delta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:16 pm   Post subject: Cool

I wish that I was taking C++ but for now I have to learn that on my own because our grade 12 course teaches JAVA. Which isn't too bad at all but still I'd rather be doing C++. :cry:
Blade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, you all have it better than me... our courses are really screwed... grade 10 is split with 11 in turing, so i'm taking grade 11 introductory turing... although the grade 12's right now in my class are still here they get 1/2 of the semester with java... i asked my teacher if i could go with them because this is way to easy for me... so this year i'm going 1/2 java, and next year (my grade 12 course/credit) i'm taking all of java..
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Asok, blame Wayne... its all his fault... Shannon was actually offered a job over @ crestwood when it opened a year ago... but then Wayne gave her a new comp lab so she stayed Confused Maybe its for the good of it... I mean I was in metro that year Wink

ether way, Wayne is fucking up metro... you should have a talk with shannon about reorganizing the system, cuz a year ago, grade 12s were doing VB... Think about it... going into compsci with NO c++ or Java... just turing and some VB Confused
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sure if I approach her about that she'll simply say "talk to wayne" or "students are dumb" Wink ok the last one I made up but that was the reasoning I remember of having turing 2 years in a row.

Think about it, the school HAS the software, C++ is on all the systems, they just need to put it INTO the curriculum. There is going to be a 3rd comp lab (chris sutter's old room) for a graphics extra curricular (not worth a credit) I'm hoping we can use that room for like a Comp Sci Advanced course or something I'll talk to shannon about that definitely.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 7  [ 92 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: