Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca unofficial wallpaper
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:34 pm   Post subject: CompSci.ca unofficial wallpaper

I was working on some wallpapers for another site and I needed to test a new technique I was messing with so the unofficial CompSci.ca wallpaper was born.

Included in the zip file is a readme with installation instructions and other unimportant crap that no one reads anyways.

The wallpaper is in .gif format.

If you absolutely have to have the wallpaper in a different resolution, then PM/e-mail me and I'll make it for you, or just download the 1600x1200 version and crop it yourself.

You are free to use this wallpaper in any way you wish. However, please give credit to me for it's original creation.

CompSci wallpaper 800x600.zip
 Description:
Resolution: 800x600

Download
 Filename:  CompSci wallpaper 800x600.zip
 Filesize:  352.59 KB
 Downloaded:  355 Time(s)

CompSci wallpaper 1024x786.zip
 Description:
Resolution: 1024x786

Download
 Filename:  CompSci wallpaper 1024x786.zip
 Filesize:  604.31 KB
 Downloaded:  532 Time(s)

CompSci wallpaper 1280x960.zip
 Description:
Resolution: 1280x960

Download
 Filename:  CompSci wallpaper 1280x960.zip
 Filesize:  954.25 KB
 Downloaded:  318 Time(s)

CompSci wallpaper 1600x1200.zip
 Description:
Resolution: 1600x1200

Download
 Filename:  CompSci wallpaper 1600x1200.zip
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Downloaded:  322 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well this doesn't have much to do with compsci, other then it has the name in the center... so we'll keep this unofficial wallpaper Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have an idea for another, much better, CompSci wallpaper.... however, I don't have anywhere to host it. I suppose I could just attach it to my post again, but how many mb's do I get total? I think I already used about 3mb so far.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you were using 170% of your 2MB quota... I changed that to 10MB
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
you were using 170% of your 2MB quota... I changed that to 10MB

Excellent! Thanks. Very Happy

Expect to see the new wallpaper sometime this weekend. It will have more relevance to computers than the cloth wallpaper did. I'm thinking curcuits.... Wink
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

try compressing adding all the pics into one zip file, that helps
and using better compressed archiving utilities like 7z or WinRAR, also help Smile

also JPEG images can be compressed and also tend to have a better quality as comapred to gifs..

TIFF, Bitmap save info for each pixel.. if u think of using these then u better compress and archive them (i.e. 7z it for example).

PNG is much better than gif and it's open source. (it uses lossless compression algorithm)

JPEG2000 is the best, but it usess a lossy compression algorithm.. the the algorithm is really good so the quality is conserved.

PS: i'm just trying to promote 7z. It's really good though!
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I decided to go with .zip because it seems to be the most popular format and I wanted everyone to have easy access to the wallpapers. I personally would have preferred to use .rar or .ace but not everyone has the proper software to decompress a .rar file. I donno about the other people here at CompSci, but if someone posted a wallpaper that may or may not be worth my time to check out and it was compressed in a format that I have never seen before or don't have the capability to decompress, I would simply skip it and move to the next post.

The next batch will be in .jpeg format. TIFF and Bitmap files are impractical for internet distribution because they tend to be huge and PNG files also tend to be large and don't compress well (for .zip files).

Never heard of 7z until today... I'm a RAR user myself. I may check that out later. Very Happy
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: